2018: A Busy BWGL Year!
After completing and adopting the Bike Walk Greater Lafayette Safety Plan in 2017, our team – led by Margy Deverall of the City of Lafayette – began implementing the plan’s top priorities:
- With Bicycle Lafayette, launched the creation of a bike-ped comfort map for the Greater Lafayette area.
- Participated in and/or presented at 15+ local events.
- In partnership with People’s Brewing, hosted a workshop on how to attain Bicycle Friendly Business designation through the League of American Bicyclists
- Recruited a cadre of volunteers to help advance the goals of BWGL in 2019 and beyond. We’re especially excited about the formation of a Bicycle and Pedestrian Citizen Advisory Committee in Lafayette.
- Created the Bike Link Bracelets activity and Safety Quiz for use at outreach events.
Where We Were!
BWGL responded to many requests to participate in community events, and we loved being out and about! We brought our Bike Link Bracelets education activity, reminded folks of basic safety regulations, and promoted cycling and walking. A few of the highlights include:
- Bike-Friendly Business Workshop
- Bike Tour with GrowLocal Urban Garden Network
- Bike to Work Day
- Boiler Bridge Bash
- CAT Employee Health Fair
- Franciscan Health’s Safe Kids Day
- Franciscan Health’s Healthy Family Fun Fair
- Indiana Bike/Walk Summit
- Vinton Elementary Walk to School Day
- Wabash Riverfest
- YMCA Healthy Kids Day
We look forward to even more events in 2019!
Looking Ahead to 2019
As we continue to implement the Plan in 2019, our priorities focus on safety and cultivating a culture of walking and cycling in the Greater Lafayette area. Here’s what we’re looking forward to in 2019!
- Finishing the bike-ped comfort map
- Attending community outreach events
- Helping businesses apply for Bicycle Friendly Business designation
- Debuting Bicycle Friendly Driver trainings
- Applying for Bicycle Friendly Community designation for the City of Lafayette
Where Do You Fit In?
Are you a potential volunteer who is passionate about helping create communities with a variety of safe transportation options? Is your business looking for ways to incentivize bicycle commuting? Are you aware of sponsors who might support our efforts to attain Bicycle Friendly Community designation?