A good quality pair of Victorian silver, parcel gilt and enamel Cruet Sets, of trefoil shape with leaf capped scrolled legs, each with an arrangement of four egg shaped condiments enamelled in blue, red and black for Salt, Pepper and Cayenne. The larger central egg for Mustard. Four pieces with the armorial crest of the Kettlewell Eyres family.
By E.H.Stockwell, London 1879.
The two Cayenne Pots by George Fox, London 1890.
The crest of a lion rampant, holding in the dexter fore-paw a cross pâtée fitchée, and resting the sinister hind-paw on a cross pâtée, almost certainly for Henry William Kettlewell Eyres (1857-1881), grandson of the wealthy mill owner Samuel Eyres (d.1868) of Armley, Leeds. Samuel Eyres’ daughter Anne had married the Rev. Samuel Kettlewell (1822-1893), but died shortly after her father. The Eyres fortune remained in trust until Henry attained his majority at the age of 21 in 1878. Henry changed his name from Kettlewell to Eyres and married Caroline Sharp in 1880. Tragically he died from a fever in Naples the following year whilst travelling through Europe. Their daughter Caroline Mary Sybil (1881-1959) eventually inherited the Dumbleton Hall estate, which had been acquired for Henry by his trustees in 1875. She married the politician Bolton Meredith Monsell in 1904, her husband taking the additional name and arms of Eyers on his marriage. He was created Viscount Monsell in 1935.
Dumbleton Hall is based in the village of Dumbleton between the towns of Evesham and Tewkesbury and on the boundary of Worcestershire and Gloucestershire. The Hall is a Grade II* listed building. The original Dumbleton Hall can be traced from around 1690 as the home of the Cocks family for over 200 years. After the death of Sir Richard Cocks in the late 18th century the Hall fell into disrepair and was eventually demolished c1780. In 1830 the agriculturalist Edward Holland employed George Stanley Repton to build the present Hall using the local Cotswold stone. The Hall was completed in 1832. Elizabeth Gaskell, the novelist and cousin of Edward Holland, was a frequent visitor to the Hall. Holland's eldest son married Mrs Gaskell's daughter. Holland knew Charles Darwin, Charles Dickens and the Wedgwood family and they are likely to have been visitors.
From 1881, Dumbleton Hall became home to the Eyres-Monsell family and in the 1920s and 1930s the Hall held house and society parties with regular guests including John Betjeman, later to become Poet Laureate, and the Mitford sisters. The German Ambassador Joachim von Ribbentrop was invited to stay at Dumbleton.
A similar single Cruet Set, but with polychrome enamelled Eggs, also by E.H. Stockwell, sold by Sotheby's in their 'Easter Feast' Sale 7/4/21. Lot 3. £6,300:-
To enthusiasts of Victorian silver, the name of Stockwell, particularly E.H. Stockwell (Edward Henry Stockwell, 17 August 1839 – 29 December 1923) and his familiar EHS mark, has been long recognised as among the very best makers of decorative novelties in silver. Between 1865 and his retirement in 1894, E.H. Stockwell, trading as Edward Stockwell, oversaw at his Greek Street workshops the manufacture of a wide range of small, unusual silver and silver-mounted goods for the luxury market. No business records of Stockwell's have survived but it is thought that E.H. Stockwell himself was responsible for most if not all of the firm's designs and models. In 1876 he was awarded a competition prize of £25 by the Goldsmiths' Company for a design for a presentation casket. Stockwell, who was not in the retail side of the trade and therefore unknown to the public at large, supplied objects to most of the best London goldsmiths' and jewellers' shops, including Walter Thornhill, Asprey & Co and Alfred Clark of Bond Street.