Welcome - if you love Box of Amazing, please forward this email or share this link on WhatsApp, LinkedIn or your favourite social channel. If you don't love Box of Amazing, please unsubscribe.
There are a couple of TikTok articles this week (A1, A4) - I find this juggernaut of a movement astonishing as a vehicle to deliver snack-sized news to the Gen Z masses. But the article you should read is the one about Jeff Bezos (A7) and the therapy hackers (T1).
The line that haunted me from A6 about the Gates divorce was this: "If the Gateses, with all that money, a joint project that had made a real impact, three kids and 27 years under their belt, couldn’t make it, what hope is there for the rest of us?"
Onward! - Rahim
P.S. Use this link to share to your friends and colleagues on Whatsapp.
My Reading Recommendations (A)
1. The Inside Story Of TikTok’s Tumultuous Rise—And How It Defeated Trump Link
2. The COVID Reporters Are Not Okay. Extremely Not Okay. Link
3. How a Miami School Became a Beacon for Anti-Vaxxers Link
4. How TikTok personalities are making a name for themselves by delivering news to Gen Z Link
5. A Crisis of Undiagnosed Cancers Is Emerging in the Pandemic’s Second Year Link 6. Why Would a Long-Term Couple Like Bill and Melinda Gates Get Divorced? Here's What Marriage Therapists Say Link
7. The Untold Story of How Jeff Bezos Beat the Tabloids Link
8. The Lie of ‘No One Wants to Work’ Link 9. If Your Brain Feels Foggy And You're Tired All The Time, You're Not Alone Link
10. ‘I’d Never Been Involved in Anything as Secret as This’ Link
My Tech Recommendations (T)
1. They Told Their Therapists Everything. Hackers Leaked It All Link
2. How subscriptions took over our lives Link
3. Virgin Hyperloop Shows off the Future: Mass Transport in Floating Magnetic Pods Link 4. How China turned a prize-winning iPhone hack against the Uyghurs Link
5. Playlists and podcasts? Netflix is exploring developing ‘N-Plus’ Link
6. Persuading the body to regenerate its limbs Link
7. Covid vaccines: what is patent waiving and will it solve the global shortage? Link
8. Do people aged 105 and over live longer because they have more efficient DNA repair? Link
9. The Chip Shortage Keeps Getting Worse. Why Can’t We Just Make More? Link
10. How Much Energy Does Bitcoin Actually Consume? Link
Box of Amazing is a personal project that I first started in 2017 to help curate quality articles for myself to fine-tune my reading around emerging technologies and the future. I now send this out by email every Sunday to whoever wants to receive it. The newsletter consists of ten great articles (topical recommended reading) and ten stories (what's amazing!). Box of Amazing now has thousands of readers spanning the globe from San Francisco to Tokyo and across multiple industries including strategy consultancy houses (McKinsey to Bain), from all the FAANG companies (Facebook to Alphabet), from startups to scaleups, from unicorns to brand new companies as well as people just interested in staying ahead of the game. If you enjoy it, please share it with your friends, family, co-workers, enemies, competitors, pets, potential love interests and others who are interested in learning about the emerging technology and trends that will affect us all in this lifetime. If you have been forwarded this email, you can sign up at boxofamazing.com - it's free.