Welcome - if you love Box of Amazing, please forward this email or share this link on WhatsApp, LinkedIn or your favourite social channel. If you don't love Box of Amazing, please unsubscribe.
As the US gears up for the next election, the distraction games have started with TikTok being cited as having security issues. This issue has a selection of articles on the issues - and whether TikTok manages to save an iteration of itself in the US or not, we will get a deeper view of how it operates.
Stay sane, stay safe!
Onward! - Rahim
P.S. Use this link to share to your friends and colleagues on Whatsapp.
My recommendations for this week
1. The Future of TikTok is African Link
2. The story of U.K. lockdown through Google Trends Link
3. The Economy Is in Record Decline, but Not for the Tech Giants Link
4. Why America Is Afraid of TikTok Link
5. COVID-19: The Great Reset (1 hour) Link
6. How fiction can help us imagine the future Link
7. How a Chinese agent used LinkedIn to hunt for targets Link
8. Can China’s Military Win the Tech War? Link
9. There Are Other Options Besides Reopening Schools Link
10. The Tech Giants Are Dangerous, and Congress Knows It Link
My Tech Recommendations for this Week
1. Tech Sector Feeling COVID-19’s Economic Pain Link
2. The Gig Economy Is Failing. Say Hello to the Hustle Economy. Link
3. Regulating technology Link
4. E-rranged marriages Link
5. There’s No Such Thing as Family Secrets in the Age of 23andMe Link
6. Op-Ed: The real reason we’re afraid of robots Link
7. Where AI Is Delivering A Competitive Edge In 2020 Link
8. How Not to Know Ourselves Link
9. How Do You Know a Human Wrote This? Link
10. Car Companies Want to Monitor Your Every Move With Emotion-Detecting AI Link
Box of Amazing is a personal project that I first started in 2017 to help curate quality articles for myself to fine-tune my reading around emerging technologies and the future. I now send this out by email every Sunday to whoever wants to receive it. The newsletter consists of ten great articles (topical recommended reading) and ten stories (what's amazing!). Box of Amazing now has thousands of readers spanning the globe from San Francisco to Tokyo and across multiple industries including strategy consultancy houses (McKinsey to Bain), from all the FAANG companies (Facebook to Alphabet), from startups to scaleups, from unicorns to brand new companies as well as people just interested in staying ahead of the game. If you enjoy it, please share it with your friends, family, co-workers, enemies, competitors, pets, potential love interests and others who are interested in learning about the emerging technology and trends that will affect us all in this lifetime. If you have been forwarded this email, you can sign up at boxofamazing.com - it's free.