Welcome - if you love Box of Amazing, please forward this email or share this link on WhatsApp, LinkedIn or your favourite social channel. If you don't love Box of Amazing, please unsubscribe.
The new normal will be an interim phase of what we perceive to be safe but balances work, the economy and socialising. When the lockdown was lifted in Wuhan, I was surprised that people didn't actually return to restaurants. But it's not surprising at all is it? Before we get to vaccine availability and implementation globally, we won't be able to trust social situations in the way that we do. The short term opportunity will be those businesses that can shepherd us to the new world. This week we have an article about virus detection sunglasses. Perhaps that's a short term opportunity, but it's the kind of thinking that will get innovators to win as we transition to that new normal, while every other emerging technology speeds up and replaces analogue ways of doing things.
Stay sane, stay safe!
Onward! - Rahim
P.S. Use this link to share to your friends and colleagues on Whatsapp.
My recommendations for this week
1. The first modern pandemic Link- by Bill Gates - must read
2. Mary Meeker's coronavirus trends report Link - 30 page report on what the world will be like
3. All the things COVID-19 will change forever, according to 30 top experts Link
4. An Oral History of the Day Everything Changed Link -gold
5. Coronavirus: Has Sweden got its science right? Link
6. How Scientists Could Stop the Next Pandemic Before It Starts Link
7. My Restaurant Was My Life for 20 Years. Does the World Need It Anymore? Link
8. How Many Hours of Sleep do You Actually Need? Link
9. Prepare for the Next Normal Link
10. The last days of Cirque du Soleil: How COVID-19 brought down an entertainment empire Link
My Tech Recommendations for this Week
1. How Tech Can Build Link
2. Drone Deliveries are Happening during lockdown Link
3. A Chinese Startup Is Selling Glasses for Virus Detection to US Businesses Link
4. Jeff Bezos v the world: why all companies fear 'death by Amazon' Link
5. Coursera Makes Online Catalogue Free for Unemployed Workers Link
6. Italian lessons: what we've learned from two months of remote learning Link
7. Silicon Valley needs a new approach to studying ethics now more than ever Link
8. Contact Tracing Is the Next Step in the Covid-19 Battle—But How Will It Work in Western Countries? Link
9. COVID-19 Vaccine effective in monkeys Link
10. Another pandemic woe: Zoom fatigue Link
Box of Amazing is a personal project that I first started in 2017 to help curate quality articles for myself to fine-tune my reading around emerging technologies and the future. I now send this out by email every Sunday to whoever wants to receive it. The newsletter consists of ten great articles (topical recommended reading) and ten stories (what's amazing!). Box of Amazing now has thousands of readers spanning the globe from San Francisco to Tokyo and across multiple industries including strategy consultancy houses (McKinsey to Bain), from all the FAANG companies (Facebook to Alphabet), from startups to scaleups, from unicorns to brand new companies as well as people just interested in staying ahead of the game. If you enjoy it, please share it with your friends, family, co-workers, enemies, competitors, pets, potential love interests and others who are interested in learning about the emerging technology and trends that will affect us all in this lifetime. If you have been forwarded this email, you can sign up at boxofamazing.com - it's free.