Welcome - if you love Box of Amazing, please forward this email or share this link on WhatsApp, LinkedIn or your favourite social channel. If you don't love Box of Amazing, please unsubscribe.
It seems that everyone is talking about the Social Dilemma, the Netflix documentary that essentially covers the problem surrounding technology and the unintended consequences of usage of technology, the addiction to our phones, and not being able to address other issues, the issues of the world and of humanity. The documentary itself is eye-opening with many industry experts giving their view on what went wrong - but I feel that there is a onesidedness to it which didn't give the full overview - the point of social networks is to be addictive. We also have a choice on what we do, whether we watch that TikTok video - whether we use our technology as a tool - or whether we let technology rule us. That may be an unpopular view when it comes to the industry - but I still think the documentary is a must-watch. I'd also suggest the "further reading" on the site. and also that you put your phone down from time to time!
Stay sane, stay safe!
Onward! - Rahim
P.S. Use this link to share to your friends and colleagues on Whatsapp.
My recommendations for this week
1. Are we living at the 'hinge of history'? Link
2. The Supply of Disinformation Will Soon Be Infinite Link 3. The Road Ahead: Charting the coronavirus pandemic over the next 12 months — and beyond Link
4. AI Should Change What You Do — Not Just How You Do It Link
5. Mark in the Middle Link
6. How The U.S. Hacked ISIS Link 7. The Rise of the Wokefluencer Link
8. Future of the Middle Class Link
9. How an Amazon Bribery Scheme Became a $100 Million Swindle Link 10. 33 Things I Stole From People Smarter Than Me Link
My Tech Recommendations for this Week
1. Ring’s latest security camera is a drone that flies around inside your house Link
2. A whopping 91% of plastic isn't recycled Link 3. The Rise of Digital Despots Link
4. Scientists devise 'Trojan horse' approach to kill cancer cells without using drugs Link
5. Tiny Triboelectric Nanogenerator Can Harvest Energy From the Breeze You Make When You Walk Link
6. Japan's 60-Foot-Tall Gundam Robot Is Now Walking and Wreaking Havoc Link
7. Traders set to don virtual reality headsets in their home offices Link 8. How QAnon Conspiracy Theories spread in my Colorado Town Link
9. Brainiacs, not birdbrains: Crows possess higher intelligence long thought a primarily human attribute Link
10. An ultra-low-cost hearing aid for age-related hearing loss Link
Box of Amazing is a personal project that I first started in 2017 to help curate quality articles for myself to fine-tune my reading around emerging technologies and the future. I now send this out by email every Sunday to whoever wants to receive it. The newsletter consists of ten great articles (topical recommended reading) and ten stories (what's amazing!). Box of Amazing now has thousands of readers spanning the globe from San Francisco to Tokyo and across multiple industries including strategy consultancy houses (McKinsey to Bain), from all the FAANG companies (Facebook to Alphabet), from startups to scaleups, from unicorns to brand new companies as well as people just interested in staying ahead of the game. If you enjoy it, please share it with your friends, family, co-workers, enemies, competitors, pets, potential love interests and others who are interested in learning about the emerging technology and trends that will affect us all in this lifetime. If you have been forwarded this email, you can sign up at boxofamazing.com - it's free.