Welcome - if you love Box of Amazing, please forward this email or share this link on WhatsApp, LinkedIn or your favourite social channel. If you don't love Box of Amazing, please unsubscribe.
If you have COVID apathy, look away now. My ten recommendations are all COVID related this week as we start to project out a trajectory of what is life now. In the UK, cases, hospitalisations, and deaths are back on the rise. We're not near the peak death levels but cases are reaching all-time highs (because testing is happening now) and with a winter of discontent on the horizon, it's the time to make ourselves resilient across the Economy, Health, Education or Career. The WEF Future of Jobs is a long important report whether you are safe, looking or have your own business.
There are roughly two months left to the end of this annus horribilis. And hopefully, and let's be realistic, we will be queuing for vaccines this time next year. 2021 can't come soon enough.
Stay sane, stay safe!
Onward! - Rahim
P.S. Use this link to share to your friends and colleagues on Whatsapp.
My recommendations for this week
1. Long Covid Link 2. Economic consequences of Covid-19: A counterfactual multi-country analysis Link
3. These pre-existing conditions could triple your risk of dying from COVID-19 Link
4. No Protection From Pandemics Unless We Fix Our Food Systems Link 5. The Future of Jobs, Post-COVID Link
6. If you're pinning your hopes on a Covid vaccine, here's a dose of realism Link
7. COVID Has Caused Millions to Lose their Sense of Smell—One Writer’s Journey to a Scentless Life and Back Link
8. It’s Time to Talk About Covid-19 and Surfaces Again Link
9. The Tree That Could Help Stop the Pandemic Link 10. Post-COVID Education Link
My Tech Recommendations for this Week
1. The Building Blocks of Tech Link
2. The Google Case Link
3. Activists Turn Facial Recognition Tools Against the Police Link 4. Startups, It’s Time to Think Like Camels — Not Unicorns Link
5. Ex-Googler Meredith Whittaker on Political Power in Tech, the Flaws of ‘The Social Dilemma,’ and More Link 6. How the Awful Stuff Won Link
7. Gartner's Top Strategic Technology Trends for 2021 Link
8. Cloud gaming’s history of false starts and promising reboots Link 9. The Network: How a Secretive Phone Company Helped the Crime World Go Dark Link
10. Why ‘digital’ is no different when it comes to valuation Link
Box of Amazing is a personal project that I first started in 2017 to help curate quality articles for myself to fine-tune my reading around emerging technologies and the future. I now send this out by email every Sunday to whoever wants to receive it. The newsletter consists of ten great articles (topical recommended reading) and ten stories (what's amazing!). Box of Amazing now has thousands of readers spanning the globe from San Francisco to Tokyo and across multiple industries including strategy consultancy houses (McKinsey to Bain), from all the FAANG companies (Facebook to Alphabet), from startups to scaleups, from unicorns to brand new companies as well as people just interested in staying ahead of the game. If you enjoy it, please share it with your friends, family, co-workers, enemies, competitors, pets, potential love interests and others who are interested in learning about the emerging technology and trends that will affect us all in this lifetime. If you have been forwarded this email, you can sign up at boxofamazing.com - it's free.