Welcome - if you love Box of Amazing, please forward this email or share this link on WhatsApp, LinkedIn or your favourite social channel. If you don't love Box of Amazing, please unsubscribe.
Welcome to 2021. While we have hope, it's clear that there is some way to go before we have mass roll-out of a vaccine, starting from the most vulnerable. Bearing this in mind, we need to build our expectations on how we operate and how we might live. I'm afraid it's much of the same until probably the second half of this year. Stay at home, if possible, and build your expectations around that world. (6)
We sat down as a family this 1st of January doing our annual review and plans for 2021. While this isn't as super prescriptive as doing a performance review, it does give a private safe environment for us to review our year and plan for future years. If you don't do one, this might be a good year to start. Keep it simple. Two columns. good in 2020, bad in 2020. Another box for plans for 2021 and then hopes for each other. It's one of my favourite activities of the year. We write things down and then swap papers to do the read out. Things I have noticed during the years are that I can no longer even read my own writing, it's easy to forget the good stuff, but others remember for you and having annuals goals gives some direction, even if you're in the midst of a pandemic. We're also doing a mid-year review this year. Let me know if you do personal life goals setting alone or with your family.
I sent out my annual themes to watch out for in 2021 which was a curation from nearly 50 or so pieces and gives a broad view of what's going on in the world. It's also a good time to look back at previous years to see what was on the cusp then and what might be mainstream now - as well as those themes that have fallen by the wayside. I have included them below (1,2,3). You should also read Tech 2 which is more or an expert lead piece.
I'd appreciate it if you could forward this email, or share, like or comment on my themes on LinkedIn or send them to your colleague or friends on WhatsApp.
My other fave pieces for this week are 100 Tips for a better life (7) and Metaverse (Tech 5)
Wishing you a successful, happy, healthy 2021!
Onward! - Rahim
P.S. Use this link to share to your friends and colleagues on Whatsapp.
My recommendations for this week
1. 50 Emerging Technology Themes to watch out for in 2021 Link
2. 50 Emerging Technology Themes to watch out for in 2020 Link
3. 50 Emerging Technology Themes to watch out for in 2019 Link
4. The Best Business Books of 2020 Link
5. Where Year Two of the Pandemic Will Take Us Link 6. Yes to Masks. No to Parties. 2021 Will Be a Lot Like 2020 Link
7. 100 Tips For A Better Life Link
8. 10 Conflicts to Watch in 2021 Link
9. The year shopping changed forever Link
10. In January, I made ten predictions for 2020 – how did they turn out? Link
My Tech Recommendations for this Week
1. The 2020 Good Tech Awards Link 2. Here are the top tech trends of 2021, according to 30+ top experts Link
3. Europe’s killer nanobot startups are taking on cancer Link
4. 2-Acre Vertical Farm Run By AI And Robots Out-Produces 720-Acre Flat Farm Link 5. The Metaverse is coming Link
6. The crazy year that was 2020 through the lens of the App Store charts Link
7. The Ethical Challenges of Connecting Our Brains to Computers Link
8. Boston Dynamics Robots Dancing! Link
9. 2020 Was a Breakout Year for Crispr Link
10. 2020 Letter (China Tech) Link
Box of Amazing is a personal project that I first started in 2017 to help curate quality articles for myself to fine-tune my reading around emerging technologies and the future. I now send this out by email every Sunday to whoever wants to receive it. The newsletter consists of ten great articles (topical recommended reading) and ten stories (what's amazing!). Box of Amazing now has thousands of readers spanning the globe from San Francisco to Tokyo and across multiple industries including strategy consultancy houses (McKinsey to Bain), from all the FAANG companies (Facebook to Alphabet), from startups to scaleups, from unicorns to brand new companies as well as people just interested in staying ahead of the game. If you enjoy it, please share it with your friends, family, co-workers, enemies, competitors, pets, potential love interests and others who are interested in learning about the emerging technology and trends that will affect us all in this lifetime. If you have been forwarded this email, you can sign up at boxofamazing.com - it's free.