Welcome - if you love Box of Amazing, please forward this email or share this link on WhatsApp, LinkedIn or your favourite social channel. If you don't love Box of Amazing, please unsubscribe.
Are you all electioned out? This week's articles are not just election focused and will give you some respite - although there are some comparisons to 2000 recounting for good measure.
One of my favourite conferences (TBD) got cancelled because of Covid and is being redone in a virtual way in January. I recommend it every year and this year will be more relevant and accessible to those of you outside of the UK. It really is one of the most diverse ane unique conferences out there and I find that I always come away with a broader view of the world. With this link you'll get 50% off if you buy before 17th November (I don't make anything from this!) For 50 pounds for two-day access, it's a no-brainer. Thank me later.
Stay sane, stay safe!
Onward! - Rahim
P.S. Use this link to share to your friends and colleagues on Whatsapp.
My recommendations for this week
1. How a not-yet-mature web covered the Florida recount in 2000 Link 2. How Do You Know When Society Is About to Fall Apart? Link
3. Is This What November 2000 Felt Like? Link
4. How claims of voter fraud were supercharged by bad science Link 5. The Slow-Motion Humiliation of an Empty Demagogue Link
6. An Oral History of 'Marge vs The Monorail', the Episode That Changed 'The Simpsons' Link
7. 'This is revolutionary’: new online bookshop unites indies to rival Amazon Link 8. Bill Gates gives the best job interview answers Link
9. Future of Sports (download the report) Link
10. How to Thrive When Everything Feels Terrible Link
My Tech Recommendations for this Week
1. The Xenobot Future Is Coming—Start Planning Now Link
2. TikTok tests a Learn tab to showcase education and how-to videos Link
3. The Batteries of the Future Are Weightless and Invisible Link
4. Astronauts could be put into hibernation to travel to Mars Link
5. Drones to launch from autonomous vehicles in new partnership Link
6. This gesture control tech lets you control robots by pointing Link
7.The impact of COVID-19 related school shutdown on sleep in adolescents: a natural experiment Link
8. Researchers engineer tiny machines that deliver medicine efficiently Link
9. This could lead to the next big breakthrough in common sense AI Link 10. Spread of mutated coronavirus in Danish mink ‘hits all the scary buttons,’ but fears may be overblown Link
Box of Amazing is a personal project that I first started in 2017 to help curate quality articles for myself to fine-tune my reading around emerging technologies and the future. I now send this out by email every Sunday to whoever wants to receive it. The newsletter consists of ten great articles (topical recommended reading) and ten stories (what's amazing!). Box of Amazing now has thousands of readers spanning the globe from San Francisco to Tokyo and across multiple industries including strategy consultancy houses (McKinsey to Bain), from all the FAANG companies (Facebook to Alphabet), from startups to scaleups, from unicorns to brand new companies as well as people just interested in staying ahead of the game. If you enjoy it, please share it with your friends, family, co-workers, enemies, competitors, pets, potential love interests and others who are interested in learning about the emerging technology and trends that will affect us all in this lifetime. If you have been forwarded this email, you can sign up at boxofamazing.com - it's free.