Welcome - if you love Box of Amazing, please forward this email or share this link on WhatsApp, LinkedIn or your favourite social channel. If you don't love Box of Amazing, please unsubscribe.
Facial tracking and related tech have been intriguing me for much time, especially as they are being used in nefarious ways around the world. The discriminator interactive movie (T2) is 15 minutes long and gives you all the ways this could apply to your daily life. The somewhat related lip-reading AI article builds further on this (T4) and should scare you into becoming privacy-centric if you are not already. It's too late is not an excuse.
I personally found the re-application of the Netflix playbook by Roku as an interesting case study in a competitive space where Apple, Amazon and Google play. (A3) More on Netflix and personalisation (T8) if you want to deep dive and I can recommend No Rules Rules if you want to immerse yourself in the story of Netflix.
Three long reads if you have time this week, covering Airbnb, Amazon and Telegram (A1, A8, T1)
Onward! - Rahim
P.S. Use this link to share to your friends and colleagues on Whatsapp.
My Reading Recommendations (A)
1. Airbnb Is Spending Millions of Dollars to Make Nightmares Go Away Link
2. How governments and spies text each other Link 3. How Roku used the Netflix playbook to beat bigger players and rule streaming video Link
4. The Document Culture of Amazon Link
5. You're Apologizing All Wrong. Here's How To Say Sorry The Right Way Link
6. The Health Benefits of Coffee Link
7. Radical acceptance Link 8. The Amazon That Customers Don’t See Link
9. When does sharing become oversharing? Link
10. Don’t Go Back to School: How to Fuel the Internal Engine of Learning Link
My Tech Recommendations (T)
1. The Telegram Billionaire and His Dark Empire Link
2. Discriminator Link
3. Does Tech need a new narrative? Link 4. Tech Companies Are Training AI to Read Your Lips Link
5. Ransomware claims are roiling an entire segment of the insurance industry Link
6. Meet Wu Dao 2.0, the Chinese AI model making the West sweat Link
7. Here's What Science Can (and Can't) Tell You About the Best Way to Lose Weight Link
8. A Brief History of Netflix Personalization Link
9. Replotting the human: the thorny ethics of growing babies outside the womb Link
10. We're living Longer but not cheating death Link
Box of Amazing is a personal project that I first started in 2017 to help curate quality articles for myself to fine-tune my reading around emerging technologies and the future. I now send this out by email every Sunday to whoever wants to receive it. The newsletter consists of ten great articles (topical recommended reading) and ten stories (what's amazing!). Box of Amazing now has thousands of readers spanning the globe from San Francisco to Tokyo and across multiple industries including strategy consultancy houses (McKinsey to Bain), from all the FAANG companies (Facebook to Alphabet), from startups to scaleups, from unicorns to brand new companies as well as people just interested in staying ahead of the game. If you enjoy it, please share it with your friends, family, co-workers, enemies, competitors, pets, potential love interests and others who are interested in learning about the emerging technology and trends that will affect us all in this lifetime. If you have been forwarded this email, you can sign up at boxofamazing.com - it's free.