Discuss a shared challenge, brainstorm ideas for a project, or learn more about a case study at Gather's video lightning chats. You can also subscribe to a lightning chat calendar on Google calendar or on iCal. Here's what's coming up:
We’re working on setting up future lightning chats. In the meantime, have you learned something in your work that you want to share with fellow Gatherers? Are there engagement process pivots you've made during COVID-19 that you're especially proud of? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and let's talk!
Jobs, Fellowships, and Funding
Shoutout to Gonzalo del Peon for posting this opportunity! (Gonzalo works at AJP and welcomes questions about the job.) Share other opportunities and relief resources on the #jobsandfunding Slack.
Associate, Startups, American Journalism Project: “The American Journalism Project is seeking an associate to join its startup team in researching local news markets, developing concepts for sustainable civic news organizations, and providing ongoing strategic and operational support to organizations as they launch. We are seeking someone who can thrive in a multifaceted role that requires quick study of new concepts, and who will approach research and problem-solving with creativity and tenacity.” Location: Flexible.
The Gather Slack is the thriving hub of our community, where we brainstorm together, ask for and offer advice, and connect with each other. Join here.
Hot Read: "How engaged journalists are serving communities throughout COVID-19" by Melissa DiPento on Medium. (This is the Gather community's most-shared story on Twitter this week. Look for other 'hot reads' in Friday's Nuzzel newsletter and in the #reads channel on the Gather Slack.)
- #trust and #asia: Please welcome the newest channels on Gather slack! #trust is helmed by Joy Mayer (naturally) and Patrick Boehler is stewarding #asia.
- Tracking real-world impact: If real-world impact is part of your organization’s mission—say, getting a law changed—how can you track that beyond inconsistent anecdotes? Join the conversation.
- Engagement around misinformation: Several Gatherers shared examples of how media outlets are engaging their communities around misinformation. Check it out.
- Online facilitation: If you’re looking for some excellent facilitation resources (plus a Zoom hack for breakout rooms), the #advocates channel has got you covered. Start with these links.
- Meeting COVID-19 info needs in Spanish: Read Madeleine Bair's reflection on how El Tímpano has pivoted to meet community information needs in Oakland.
- Journalism on TikTok: Gatherer Francesco Zaffarano is compiling a “crowd-sourced directory of publishers, journalists, and orgs” on TikTok. Here’s the growing list and you can submit your account here.
Meet Sarah Pineda, this week's Featured Member.
Name: Sarah Pineda
What you do: Engagement producer for KQED Arts & Culture desk (Bay Area’s NPR/PBS affiliate).
Why you’re on Gather: There’s this popular Lady Gaga meme video of her listing what she loves about Ryan Murphy: “Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before, unafraid to reference or not reference...” And I 100% feel this towards everyone on Gather. All the Gather members are doing such great work in and around engaged journalism and I love learning and meeting all these inspirational folks.
One thing you want to learn on Gather: I’ve been working at KQED for a little over a month now, and the majority of my job is focused on social media strategy. I want to learn more from the social media folks on how they do things in their newsrooms/organizations and how I can continue to get better in my work.
One thing you have to share on Gather: I have experience building callouts on different engagement platforms and how to efficiently share them out online through different mediums. It’s always important you are intentional with the community you are trying to hear from and avoid parachuting.
One thing about your work that gets you especially pumped up: I’m originally from Southern California, so I’m excited to learn, hear, and share the stories of folks from the Bay Area. We collaborate with many independent artists who have such inspiring stories connected to their communities in the Bay that I’m excited to learn more about.
Who or what inspired you to get into this work? I decided to pursue journalism because I felt there was a need for stories about people who look like me by people who look like me. I started my engaged journalism career at KPCC/LAist when I got to work with the amazing Ashley Alvarado, and I can’t see myself doing anything else.
Would you rather watch a movie, read a book, or listen to a podcast? Watch a movie, or tv show. I’ve binge watched “The Office” a hundred times now (and will continue for a hundred more) but my go-to quarantine show at the moment is 90 Day Fiancé.
Links for ways to connect with you.
Send me an email at email@example.com, find me on Twitter and Instagram.