Discuss a shared challenge, brainstorm ideas for a project, or learn more about a case study! You can subscribe to a lightning chat calendar on Google calendar or on iCal or revisit past chats in the archive (login for full access). Here's what's coming up:
Sept. 15, 2pm ET // Media 2070 for media reparations: Free Press is launching “Media 2070,” an in-depth research essay and organizing hub that documents and analyzes the history of media harm. Join Alicia Bell from Free Press to hear about the origins and goals of the project, how they plan to engage their communities, and how you can join. Register on Zoom for a 30-minute conversation at 2pm ET / 11am PT. Click here to add this to your Google Calendar.
ONA SESSION - Oct. 16, 10:30am - 11:15am ET // From participation to collaboration: building power with communities: This session is designed for journalists looking to understand how to build power with communities. How do we move engagement beyond public participation and acknowledge and amplify the power that communities hold through journalism collaboration? Join Stefanie Murray of Center for Cooperative Media, Heather Bryant of Project Facet, and Alicia Bell of News Voices to discuss how we can strategize and re-imagine the relationships we build with the public we serve. Register for ONA 2020 to join.
Jobs, Fellowships, and Funding
Shoutout to Eba Hamid-Rivera and Thomas Seymat for posting these on Slack! Check out the #jobsandinternships and #grantsandfunding Slack channels to see what other opportunities Gatherers are sharing.
Audience Strategist, PublicSource: “The Audience Strategist will bolster our efforts to produce quality journalism that matters to our readers, listeners and community at-large and will allow us to continue building a membership program that is key to our sustainability.” Duties include analytics, newsletter, social media and SEO, and community engagement. Location: Pittsburgh. NOTE: Links to Slack with a PDF of the full description. If you’re not on Slack, email me and I’ll send you the PDF.
Community Manager, Forum dot eu: “Forum dot eu is looking for a passionate and results-oriented Community Manager to be the first point of contact for Forum’s community and drive its engagement. You are self-motivated, enthusiastic, and keen to develop a career within a growing team while helping to shape the future and direction of Forum and the European public sphere.” Location: Berlin.
The Gather Slack is the thriving hub of our community, where we brainstorm together, ask for and offer advice, and connect with each other. Sign up as a Gather member to join Slack.
- Analytics for comments: Who out there is producing analytics reports on commenting? What do you measure? How do you adjust your work based on the data? Join the conversation.
- Responding to critiques of racism: If you manage a Facebook group where community members say coverage of a specific issue is racist, how can you respond as a moderator? Share here.
- Back-tracking a link: One Gatherer asks, “Is there any way to work backwards from a link with a fbclid parameter to find out what Facebook post the link came from?” Have an answer? Pop it here!
- Social media policy: A Gatherer is revamping their social media policy and looking for examples. Share yours here.
- The Atlantic & trust: Joy Mayer points out how The Atlantic could have explained why they used anonymous sources on a recent story. Read more on the #trust channel.
- An oops email: How do you respond when you accidentally send a random email? Acknowledge it? Don’t? Here’s one example response.
- Email courses: Have you started an email course, or do you have a list of examples to share? A Gatherer wants to know.
Hot Read: "A robot wrote this entire article. Are you scared yet, human?" by Artificial intelligence (AI) for The Guardian’s Opinion section. (This is the Gather community's most-shared story on Twitter this week. Look for other 'hot reads' in Friday's Nuzzel newsletter and in the #reads channel on the Gather Slack.)
Asking for advice
As our Featured Members section is on pause
, I’m looking for examples of how other communities designed their workflows to highlight their members
in a more intentional and equitable way. Now that we have more than 2,000 Gatherers from the website and Slack combined, I’d love to build a better process for choosing who to feature here each week.
Do you have experience setting up an intentional workflow to highlight your members? I’d love to hear from you!
Please DM me on Slack or email me