Discuss a shared challenge, brainstorm ideas for a project, or learn more about a case study in our 30 minute chats. You can subscribe to a lightning chat calendar on Google calendar or on iCal or revisit past chats in the archive (login for full access). Here's what's coming up:
- TOMORROW at 2pm ET // Q&A with Andrea Wenzel: Join us next week to chat with Andrea Wenzel about her new book, “Community-Centered Journalism: Engaging People, Exploring Solutions, and Building Trust.” We'll be doing something different this time around. This chat will be a live recorded interview with Andrea for a future episode of The Listeners Podcast. Register on Zoom for a 60-minute conversation at 2:00pm ET / 11:00am PT.
- Thurs, Feb. 18 // Behind the scenes of a high impact project on anti-Asian hate: Kristine Lois Villanueva knew she wanted to create a project examining the rise in COVID-19 related anti-Asian hate from a national perspective, but finding ways to bring in engagement was a constantly moving target. Join this chat to learn about how Kristine made strategic decisions when challenges arose, and how the project was cited in legislation from the local to national levels. Register on Zoom for a 30-minute conversation at 2:30pm ET / 11:30am PT. Click here to add this to your Google Calendar.
Jobs, Fellowships, and Funding
Shoutout to Andrew Losowsky for posting Josh Stearns’ thread on Slack! Check out the #jobsandinternships and #grantsandfunding Slack channels to see what other opportunities Gatherers are sharing.
There are so many opportunities this week that we will point you in two directions:
The Gather Slack is the thriving hub of our community, where we brainstorm together, ask for and offer advice, and connect with each other. Sign up as a Gather member to join Slack.
Hot Read: "NYC Nursing Home Gave Dozens of Veterans Experimental COVID-19 Treatments. Some Families Had No Idea
- Publishing less: Has your newsroom strategically cut back on the amount of content you produce? Stephanie Castellano (American Press Institute) is writing an article about organizations significantly cutting content, why those decisions were made, and what the outcomes are. Contact Stephanie via email or on Slack to share your experience.
- Subscriber groups: What have you learned from starting a Facebook group or similar space for subscribers? What advice would you give someone about to start one? Help a Gatherer out.
- Nextdoor guidelines: An observation about Nextdoor’s community guidelines is morphing into a conversation about sites like Nextdoor filling information gaps. Join the conversation.
- Learn from Scalawag: The next Peer Learning + Collaborative Fund Share + Learn event is with Scalawag. Sign up to learn about “growing membership and audience.”
- Web accessibility: A Gatherer is working on creating web accessibility resources for people in journalism and related fields, and they are seeking responses to help them tailor these resources. Ask them questions on Slack or visit the Google Form.
" by Dean Russell for THE CITY. Additional reporting by Yoav Gonen. (This is the Gather community's most-shared story on Twitter this week. Look for other 'hot reads' in Friday's Nuzzel newsletter and in the #reads channel on the Gather Slack.)