Discuss a shared challenge, brainstorm ideas for a project, or learn more about a case study! You can subscribe to a lightning chat calendar on Google calendar or on iCal or revisit past chats in the archive (login for full access). Here's what's coming up:
Tomorrow! Aug. 27, 2:30pm ET // Tool talk on Zoom vs. StreamYard vs. Restream: How do you choose a video streaming service if your event is over 200 people and you need multiple breakout rooms? Martin Pratt will walk us through Zoom vs. StreamYard vs. Restream (and maybe a few others) and talk about which service may work best in what situation. Register on Zoom for a 30-minute conversation at 2:30pm ET / 11:30am PT. Click here to add this to your Google Calendar.
Sept. 15, 2pm ET // Media 2070 for media reparations: Free Press is launching “Media 2070,” an in-depth research essay and organizing hub that documents and analyzes the history of media harm. Join Alicia Bell from Free Press to hear about the origins and goals of the project, how they plan to engage their communities, and how you can join. Register on Zoom for a 30-minute conversation at 2pm ET / 11am PT. Click here to add this to your Google Calendar.
Jobs, Fellowships, and Funding
Shoutout to Gracie McKenzie for posting this on Slack! Check out the #jobsandinternships and #grantsandfunding Slack channels to see what other opportunities Gatherers are sharing.
Collaborations Editor, Resolve Philly: “The successful candidate will be a rock star in relationship building, project management, and editorial leadership. You will steward the work of Broke in Philly, Resolve’s pioneering five-year solutions and service journalism initiative on poverty and economic mobility. You will be responsible for maintaining and growing relationships among the collaborative’s newsroom partners, guiding the narrative arc of Broke in Philly, and leading the strategic development of the project, including an upgrade to Broke in Philly’s digital presence and growing its audience.” Location: Philadelphia, PA. Deadline: 8/30 at 8pm EST
The Gather Slack is the thriving hub of our community, where we brainstorm together, ask for and offer advice, and connect with each other. Sign up as a Gather member to join Slack.
- Writing a digital media strategy: What does your digital media strategy look like? Have examples of excellent ones? A Gatherer is looking for inspiration.
- Election Twitter tip: Here’s an awesome example from a reporter sharing key election deadlines. See the Tweet thread and hop on Slack for more examples.
- Newsletter reader surveys: A Gatherer asks, “Anyone have a good checklist for newsletter reader surveys? What to ask? What not to ask? How many questions is too many?” They’d love your advice!
- Path to subscription: Do you have articles to share on “how long a typical reader journey is from first encounter to engagement to paying reader”? A Gatherer is looking for resources.
- ONA registration is live: Who’s joining ONA Everywhere this year? What engagement-related sessions are you excited about? Head over to the #ONA20 Slack channel to share and connect.
Hot Read: "JSK names 11 Community Impact Fellows for 2020-2021" by the John S. Knight Journalism Fellowships. (Congratulations to Gatherer Candice Fortman!) (This is the Gather community's most-shared story on Twitter this week. Look for other 'hot reads' in Friday's Nuzzel newsletter and in the #reads channel on the Gather Slack.) (Note: Even though this piece is linked in the intro, we included it here again because it was the most read article by far.)