Discuss a shared challenge, brainstorm ideas for a project, or learn more about a case study in our 30 minute chats. You can subscribe to a lightning chat calendar on Google calendar or on iCal or revisit past chats in the archive (login for full access).
Call for topics:
Is there a ‘sticky’ question you’d like Gather to host a discussion around? A 30-minute learning you’d love to share with Gatherers this year? A skill-based chat you’d like to see happen? Please share your idea with us
and we’ll be in touch!
Jobs, Fellowships, and Funding
Shoutout to Amanda Zamora for posting this on Slack! Check out the #jobsandinternships and #grantsandfunding Slack channels to see what other opportunities Gatherers are sharing.
Director of Events, The 19th*:
“As Director of Events, you will have a knack for surfacing interviews and driving discussions that cut through the 24-hour news cycle with relevant and insightful perspectives on gender, politics and policy issues of interest to our audience.” Location: Open. Deadline: 2/5/21
The Gather Slack is the thriving hub of our community, where we brainstorm together, ask for and offer advice, and connect with each other. Sign up as a Gather member to join Slack.
Hot Read: "Vons, Pavilions to Fire 'Essential Workers,' Replace Drivers with Independent Contractors
- Gatherer predictions: Other NiemanLab predictions from Gatherers not in the intro: rise of plain-text newsletters, ask your readers to help build products, business-side collaborations, millennials are ready to run things, news literacy isn’t child’s play, news becomes plural, engaged journalism scales, more translations and non-English content, fusing journalism with art, the year of journalists taking initiative, the year we stop pivoting, defunding the crime beat, and taking care of journalists’ health and well-being.
- Customer service: Gatherers had a lively conversation on the connections (and siloes) between engagement and customer service. It’s a thoughtful, nuanced discussion - catch up here and add your thoughts.
- Reads for understanding racism: Did you grow up outside the United States? What have you read that’s helped you better understand race and racism in this country? One Gatherer is crowdsourcing a list here.
- GDPR compliance: How are you dealing with E.U. subscribers to your newsletters? What are the GDPR requirements for email anyway? Join the conversation.
- Organizing production: A Gatherer asks, “How do you organize your content production with your readers/new audiences in mind?” Respond here.
- ROI of engagement: What are your favorite readings for understanding the business benefits of in-person or event-based engagement? Share them here.
" by Mike Dickerson for Knock LA. (This is the Gather community's most-shared story on Twitter this week. Look for other 'hot reads' in Friday's Nuzzel newsletter and in the #reads channel on the Gather Slack.)