Discuss a shared challenge, brainstorm ideas for a project, or learn more about a case study! You can subscribe to a lightning chat calendar on Google calendar or on iCal. Check out the Lightning Chat archive online (login required).
More from the Lightning Chat archives! Join Gather here to access our full archive of 51 past chats on topics such as:
Jobs, Fellowships, and Funding
Shoutout to Ashley Alvarado (Dir. of Engagement at KPCC) and Christian Skotte (Dir. of Innovation and Growth at Grist) for posting these on Slack! Feel free to DM either of them about the relevant job. Check out the #jobsandfunding Slack to see what other opportunities Gatherers are sharing.
Engagement Producer, Early Childhood, SCPR: “S/he will look for creative approaches to engage the community in coverage and identify the information needs and habits of stakeholders. Working in SCPR’s cross-platform newsroom, s/he will also report, write and produce reports, post online stories, and use social media and engagement tools to report, engage sources and listeners/users, and develop engagement projects. (This is a temporary, 4-5 month position.)” Location: Los Angeles. Deadline: July 17 at 5pm PT.
Audience Growth Manager – Innovation and Growth, Grist: “The Audience Growth Manager will work on using data and insights to help formulate and execute plans to grow Grist’s audiences and determine whom we should target. We are looking for someone with experience building audience reach in a media brand.” Location: Seattle or NYC preferred.
The Gather Slack is the thriving hub of our community, where we brainstorm together, ask for and offer advice, and connect with each other. Join here.
- Example discussion guides: A Gatherer is looking for discussion guides that do a great job of framing conversations on “meaty” issues. Offer your examples here.
- More active moderation: What are good policies and practices as you move beyond “rejecting bad comments” to engaging with readers online? Join the conversation.
- COVID + grants: How has COVID changed what types of grants you’re looking for, or the types of funding available? Share what you’re experiencing here.
- Video analytics: Have you had to think through a video analytics strategy? A Gatherer wants to hear more.
- Newsletter segmentation: “Is there a case for not using segmentation in email newsletter strategy?” asks a Gatherer. What do you think?
- Poll on boycott: The results are in from the #paidacquisition poll on the social media advertising boycott. Respondents aren’t changing much - yet. The poll sparked a nuanced discussion about the boycott’s impact and questions. Join the conversation.
- Understanding audience needs: Gatherers talk about why this is so important after a recent ONA chat. Read more here.
- Gmail truncation: What are your tips for avoiding newsletter truncation in Gmail? Read replies and share your own.
Hot Read: "The Fullest Look Yet at the Racial Inequity of Coronavirus" by Richard A. Oppel Jr., Robert Gebeloff, K.K. Rebecca Lai, Will Wright and Mitch Smith at The New York Times. (This is the Gather community's most-shared story on Twitter this week. Look for other 'hot reads' in Friday's Nuzzel newsletter and in the #reads channel on the Gather Slack.)
Meet Julia Campbell, this week's Featured Member.
Name: Julia Campbell
What you do: I lead the Branded Content Project for the Local Media Association, the Local Media Consortium and the Facebook Journalism Project.
Why you’re on Gather: I’m on Gather to learn as much as I can about the incredible work happening at media organizations across the industry. One of the primary focuses of our project is to share as many success stories, best practices and new ideas with local media of all shapes and sizes. Gather has helped us discover innovation happening in every corner of the media ecosystem.
One thing you want to learn on Gather: I hope to learn about successful business models created around engagement and audience development strategies. It’s exciting to see how teams are building sustainable, creative media businesses around their audiences.
One thing you have to share on Gather: I would love to share details and strategies on the best ways to merge “church and state” of the media industry. The business of storytelling is a fantastic revenue stream for media organizations of all types.
One thing about your work that gets you especially pumped up: Seeing local media organizations experiment and succeed.
Who or what inspired you to get into this work? I always loved watching TV, so I found a way to turn that into a career.
Would you rather work in chaos or quiet? Chaos! I’m a former TV newscast director and we thrive when things are just barely under control.
Links for ways to connect with you.
Twitter @campbelljulia & LinkedIn.
Local Media Association - The Branded Content Project