Jobs, Fellowships, and Funding
Shoutout to Mandy Hofmockel, Tommy Hamzik, Kanyakrit Vongkiatkajorn, Evan Mackinder, Alex Veeneman, and Joy Mayer for posting these on Slack! Check out the #jobsandinternships and #grantsandfunding Slack channels to see what other opportunities Gatherers are sharing.
Director of Member Strategy, News Revenue Hub:
“The Director of Member Strategy works with senior leadership to help the organization understand how we can best serve our clients, and in doing so, plays a large role in helping the journalism landscape prosper.” Location: Remote. Deadline: 12/4/20
Social Media Producer, evening/weekend contract, The Washington Post:
“This position is on our core social team, which is responsible for The Post’s main branded accounts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.” Location: Washington, DC. Deadline: 12/4/20
Newsletter Editor, The Washington Post:
“This editor will help oversee and improve our existing newsletter portfolio, grow the audience for these products, and develop and evaluate proposals to launch new ones.” Location: Washington, DC. Deadline: 12/14/20
Summer 2021 Internships, Houston Chronicle:
“Interns may be assigned to one of the following newsroom departments: Metro, Business, Photo, Digital, Page Design, or Features.” Location: Houston, TX (may be remote depending on COVID-19). Deadline: 12/18/20
Head of Community, STAT:
“As the steward of the STAT community, you will understand how to leverage existing platforms and technology to engage and connect with an audience.” Location: Boston, MA
Hearst Connecticut Media is holding a Virtual Career Fair
on Thursday, December 10 for multiple job openings
. They are hosting an hour-long webinar with optional slots for informational interviews. Details & RSVP here
The Gather Slack is the thriving hub of our community, where we brainstorm together, ask for and offer advice, and connect with each other. Sign up as a Gather member to join Slack.
Hot Read: "Mapping Black Media
- Social media portfolios: One Gatherer shared an amazing example of how to showcase your social media experience for new opportunities. Check it out on Slack!
- Virtual brainstorming: Now that everything’s online, brainstorming has to go digital too. Gatherers swapped tools and ideas for ways to make digital brainstorming fun.
- Social team workflows: How do you integrate a new hire into your small social media team? Share your tips.
- Digital accessibility: Here’s what Max Resnik learned about making community conversations accessible over Zoom. Read the article or connect with Max on Slack.
- Reconsider “in need”: What are more accurate, less stigmatizing terms for describing when people are in need of particular services, items, etc.? Gatherers offered some precise guidelines.
- The “oops” email: How do you respond when you accidentally send a newsletter with a typo? The embarrassment is real, but humor works most of the time.
- Getting started in newsletters: A Gatherer is “new to the newsletter business” and wants your tips for how to get started. Share your advice here.
- Restaurant news by text?: Subtext co-founder David Cohn is playing with the idea of creating a way for publications to utilize text campaigns to build community around their local restaurant industry and is looking for brainstorming partners. Learn more on Slack.
- Election kudos: Want to check out some great examples of engaged elections work? This thread will put a smile on your face!
" by the Center for Community Media at the Newmark J-School. (This is the Gather community's most-shared story on Twitter this week. Look for other 'hot reads' in Friday's Nuzzel newsletter and in the #reads channel on the Gather Slack.)