Discuss a shared challenge, brainstorm ideas for a project, or learn more about a case study in our 30 minute chats. You can subscribe to a lightning chat calendar on Google calendar or on iCal or revisit past chats in the archive (login for full access). Here's what's coming up:
- TOMORROW // Behind the scenes of a high impact project on anti-Asian hate: Kristine Lois Villanueva knew she wanted to create a project examining the rise in COVID-19 related anti-Asian hate from a national perspective, but finding ways to bring in engagement was a constantly moving target. Join this chat to learn about how Kristine made strategic decisions when challenges arose, and how the project was cited in legislation from the local to national levels. Register on Zoom for a 30-minute conversation at 2:30pm ET / 11:30am PT. Click here to add this to your Google Calendar.
Jobs, Fellowships, and Funding
Shoutout to Elizabeth Dunbar for posting this on Slack! Check out the #jobsandinternships and #grantsandfunding Slack channels to see what other opportunities Gatherers are sharing.
Audience Engagement Editor, TIME For Kids: "
Help shape and execute our editorial strategy across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media platforms, and to manage all @timeforkids social accounts. The role is highly creative and cross-functional.” Location: New York, NY. (May be remote.)
The Gather Slack is the thriving hub of our community, where we brainstorm together, ask for and offer advice, and connect with each other. Sign up as a Gather member to join Slack.
Hot Read: "Texplainer: Why Does Texas Have Its Own Power Grid?
- Survey question on impact: One Gatherer is prepping audience surveys for a news organization and wants to know, “What are the most effective audience survey questions on (real-world) impact that you've asked?” Share your suggestions here.
- Reorienting surveys to user needs: Continuing the audience survey topic, another Gatherer is redesigning a 10-question survey and wants to surface more information on audience needs (rather than people’s willingness to pay X amount). Do you have suggestions for good questions to consider including? Join the conversation.
- Audience developer vs. engager: What is the difference between an audience “developer” vs. “engager” role? Is there a difference? Are these fuzzy distinctions? Help a Gatherer out.
- Seeking TX-based journalists: DaLyah Jones and Zacharia Washington of the Texas Observer are looking for “volunteer journalists to serve as guests for virtual community workshops and trainings aimed at reaching underserved and BIPOC communities” on addressing disinformation and misinformation. More details here.
- Newsletters highlighting online discussions: Do you know of other newsletters that highlight current conversations happening in online communities (similar to this very section)? A Gatherer wants to know.
- We’re human too: An embarrassing mistake, a swift response, and the great replies that came in. Read it on Slack.
" by Kate Galbraith at The Texas Tribune. Additional reporting by Yoav Gonen. (This is the Gather community's most-shared story on Twitter this week. Look for other 'hot reads' in Friday's Nuzzel newsletter and in the #reads channel on the Gather Slack.)