New Gather Case Study
Gather case studies dive into engaged journalism projects to share what worked well and lessons learned. This week's case study comes from Jahlysa Azaret, a multimedia journalism graduate student at the University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communications.
Discuss a shared challenge, brainstorm ideas for a project, or learn more about a case study! You can subscribe to a lightning chat calendar on Google calendar or on iCal or revisit past chats in the archive (login for full access).
We’ve had many chats in the past month. Catch up on these inspiring conversations:
Jobs, Fellowships, and Funding
Shoutout to Simon Galperin, Evan Mackinder, Heather Bryant, Alex Veeneman, Madeleine Bair, Sally Beauvais, and Sam Hoisington for posting these on Slack! Check out the #jobsandinternships and #grantsandfunding Slack channels to see what other opportunities Gatherers are sharing.
Gatherers have posted so many new engagement-related jobs on Slack this week. Here’s a selection of these opportunities:
The Gather Slack is the thriving hub of our community, where we brainstorm together, ask for and offer advice, and connect with each other. Sign up as a Gather member to join Slack.
- Elections + newsroom needs: If you work in a journalism support role - how are you approaching supporting newsrooms leading up to Election Day and afterwards? A Gatherer wants your insights!
- Leadership structures for medium teams: One Gatherer asks, “What kinds of leadership structures do you think help medium-sized teams succeed?” Executive editor models? Managing editors? The GM model? Weigh in here.
- Instagram check-in: Gatherer Sarah Pineda shared an inspiring example of how Tippie Magazine did a mental health check-in on Instagram, and how they closed the loop with people who responded. Check it out.
- First-person essays: Someone asked for examples of local news organizations publishing first-person essays or community profiles - and Gather delivered! Check out these examples.
- Latinas in Journalism: Check out and share the new Latinas in Journalism Mentorship Program. (Thanks for sharing Virginia Arrigucci!)
Hot Read: "The Sacramento Bee wants to tie metrics to pay. Its guild is not having it." by Kristen Hare at The Poynter Institute. (This is the Gather community's most-shared story on Twitter this week. Look for other 'hot reads' in Friday's Nuzzel newsletter and in the #reads channel on the Gather Slack.)