Friday, August 21, 2020
Dear <<First Name>>,
Happy Friday! If you have not begun your New Deac 101 online Orientation, I would encourage you to begin working through Module I: “New to the Forest” to ensure that you complete it by the deadline, September, 4th.
I am excited to share that Module III: Explore the Forest has officially become available to you. You will have the opportunity to explore all that Wake Forest has to offer, from academic programs to clubs and organizations. Please visit canvas.wfu.edu, and log in with your student credentials. For more details about New Deac 101, please review the following message in full.
Departmental Open Houses are scheduled for Monday, August 24th from 2p.m. to 5p.m.: Meet faculty and upper-class students in informal virtual or in-person settings at any time during this three-hour period. Please take a moment to fill out the following interest form to ensure that you receive invitations to the department of your choice.
Friday, August 21st Programs:
Group Fitness schedule available all during Move-in. Our schedule and registration can be found here
Recreation G.O. presented by Campus Recreation, Hearn Plaza
Campus Recreation moves outside! Our Recreation G.O. @ Hearn Plaza will feature a variety of lawn games from badminton, kanjam, bottle bash, cornhole, and others! Visit campusrec.wfu.edu to find our weekly schedule.
- Deacs Get Up and Run hosted by Club Running, Manchester Plaza. Join our club running team for a run through campus!
- Call 2 Conversation - Program for Leadership and Character, Upper Davis Field Tent. Call to Conversation is a movement to start more authentic conversation among the campus community. A topic and prompt is shared and a moderator sets the stage so participants feel comfortable sharing their stories. To register, click here.
Student Athlete Advisory Council: Wake Forest Athletics Preview, Virtual. Engage with some of your Demon Deacon student-athletes and Fall Sport Coaches. Learn about the student-athlete experience, and what makes being a Demon Deacon so special! We'll share ways to become more involved with Wake Athletics, such as, Mascots, Managers, Internships, Tickets, Rewards and more! To register, click here.
- Deacs Decide: Relax and Register, Collins Hall Tent. Deacs Decide is a collaborative, campus-wide election engagement project. Led by students, Deacs Decide aims to educate the campus community about issues at stake in the election and register students, faculty, staff, and community members to vote. We have a series of events that will occur during the "Wake the Forest" period. Important to note: North Carolina residents with an existing NC driver's license can register online; everyone else (e.g. those without NC driver's license) must fill out a form and mail, email, or fax to the NCBOE. To register, click here.
- Community Gardening - Office of Sustainability, WFU Campus Garden (1141 Polo Road). Get yourself acquainted with a true oasis on campus... the WFU Campus Garden! Come learn all about sustainable agriculture and get your hands dirty as you take part in the process. Throughout the year, the Campus Garden grows a variety of produce, including strawberries, apples, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, peas, greens, and so much more. A portion of the produce is distributed to families in need in the community through our partner organization, Campus Kitchen. Please register in advance and stop by anytime from 3 to 5 pm. Drop-ins are welcome if space allows, but we will have to enforce a limit on the number of people in the garden at any one time to maintain social distancing. What to bring: - cloth face covering - hand sanitizer - drinking water - sun protection (sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, etc.) - clothes you don't mind getting dirty. Please note: this event will still take place if there is light rain, but heavy rain and/or thunderstorms will force us to reschedule. Please check your email, The Link, and/or social media (@SustainableWFU) for weather updates. To register, click here.
- Queer First Year 2020 Preview, Virtual. Welcome class of 2024! Incoming LGBTQ+ students and students interested in getting connected to the LGBTQ+ community at WFU are invited to join the LGBTQ+ Center on Friday, August 21, from 3:00 - 4:00 pm, for a virtual Queer First Year 2020 PREVIEW! Queer First Year is the LGBTQ+ Center's signature platform for connecting with and supporting our incoming students, and this preview party will give you a chance to learn about QFY, meet LGBTQ+ Center staff and other students, and have some fun connecting with the LGBTQ+ community at WFU! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the link to join!
Young Stars: Meet the Deacs Crushing Cool Careers - Office of Personal and Career Development, Virtual How did Wake's career stars make their way from the Quad to places like Facebook, The Tonight Show, Google, the Hill, L'Oreal or Michael Kors? Interested in running social media or public relations in New York? Want to work in investment banking or government? Think you might want to work for the non-profit changing the world? Find out how for yourself! You have an unusual, very Wake Forest opportunity. More than a panel, you will have the unique opportunity to meet and have a small group chat with the Deacs who are opening doors in some of the hottest career spaces. This is a limited event capped at 100 students. To register, click here.
- Deacon Olympics: Various locations on Campus. Join Campus Recreation as we lead you through a variety of activities to get you moving and engaging with other new Deacs! We will provide this program during 4 different nights to accommodate your schedule. Registration begins August 13: deaconrec.wfu.edu
As a reminder, all of the messages that we send throughout the summer can be found here.
Questions regarding New Deac 101 or New Deac Week can be directed to email@example.com.
Cherise N. W. James, Ph.D.
Associate Director of Orientation and
Lower Division Programming