The Old Showfield
3b has submitted a formal planning application to build 43 houses with associated roads, parking, landscaping, etc.
Details of the application can be found on line www.dumgal.gov.uk/planning
use the “search planning applications” link, and enter reference: 17/1984/FUL.
The Library should have a copy of the application as well. D&G Council will make a decision about this application in the next few months. Anyone is entitled to have their say about this but objections had to be in by December 7th. However, please speak to your D&GC Councillors and let them know what you think.
Some issues and questions you may wish to consider if you intend to make a submission to Dumfries & Galloway Council – to support or to object:
1. Southfield Park is designated for 42 houses in the Local Development Plan;
2. In 2007, Dumfries & Galloway Council was “minded to approve” plans for 34 houses, subject to waste water and surface water management being agreed;
3. This is a big development, increasing the number of houses in Wigtown by 10%, possibly increasing the population and the number of cars by 10% or more;
4. Is there any demand for housing like this? Houses are often on the market a long time before they sell in Wigtown; several houses around the area have been empty for years;
5. Is the proposed design of the houses in keeping with the historic nature of Wigtown and our reliance on tourism?
6. What impact would the development have on heritage buildings like the prison house?
7. Would houses along Harbour Road be over-looked and have afternoon / evening light blocked out by new houses across the road?
8. Can local services like GPs, water supply, sewerage, the school and its nursery cope with so many more houses and people?
9. How will traffic manage and how busy will it be for local residents during building and afterwards?