Where in the World are Our Listeners?
This week we're giving a shout out to Catania, Sicily. Catania was founded in 729 BCE. As a strategic foothold in the Mediterranean, the city has changed hands many times over the centuries – controlling forces have included the Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Islamic Emirates, Normans, Spanish, and Italians. The city has been buried under lava seventeen times and has been rebuilt continuously. The symbol of the city is the elephant and legend has it that the it's grand elephant statue (made of lava of course) can come to life and was ridden by a local sorcerer.
Tip of the week
You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. So if you want to change a behavior (stop smoking, drinking, eating unhealthily, pick up a new sport or hobby) change your friend group to match the behavior you want to see in yourself. Positive peer pressure will support the change you want to make.
Look clever at a cocktail party
Is there such a thing as love at first sight? Some studies seem to suggest there is. When a person looks at a potential partner and likes what they see, the brain starts producing feel-good chemicals associated with love, such as dopamine and oxytocin. These neurotransmitters become active across 12 different areas in the brain and it takes just one fifth of a second for the brain to start reacting when it sees the potential love of its life.
What are Ian, Darren & March up to this week?
Listen to an upcoming show to hear how our experiments went and what we learned!
- Ian is wearing compression pants while sleeping to improve recovery between workouts (thanks to science)
- Darren is re-reading "The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff
- March is planning his next mountain climb, this time the volcano Mount St. Helens
Article of the week
How to Have Better Conversations with Your Partner, and Just About Anyone Else
- Gottman Institute blog
"Asking open-ended questions encourages the person you’re conversing with to think critically and therefore to be more engaging, because open-ended questions allow the respondent, not the asker, to control the response."
Product of the week
Darren has been using MoviePass as motivation for a regular date night with his wife. Moviepass gives you unlimited visits to the movies for $8/month.
3 things you can do to help the show!
- If you enjoyed this newsletter please forward to a friend. If this was forwarded to you, you can subscribe here.
- Listen to the podcast and if you enjoy it give us a 5-star rating on iTunes. It helps others find the show.
- Join the discussion on Facebook and share your own tips and tricks or ask a question.
All the best in getting better,
Ian, Darren & March