Tip of the week
Want to gain more insight into your life and your priorities? Try keeping a dream journal and talking through your dreams with a friend. Research has shown that writing down your dreams increases recall and that talking through your dream can lead to insights about problems and priorities in your life. Read more about the research.
Look clever at a cocktail party
We spend around six years of our lives dreaming – that’s 2,190 days or 52,560 hours. Although we can be aware of the perceptions and emotions we experience in our dreams, we are not conscious in the same way as when we’re awake. This explains why we can’t recognize that we’re in a dream and often mistake these bizarre narratives for reality.
What are Ian, Darren & March up to this week?
Listen to an upcoming show to hear how our experiments went and what we learned!
- Ian is starting a yoga practice with the goal of improving his sleep.
- Darren is trying a new lifelogging / journaling app called Day One.
- March is testing the Sphere 10,000 lux lamp each morning to combat winter lethargy.
Article of the week
The Science of Dreams and Why We Have Nightmares - Maria Popova
Maria, on her excellent blog Brain Pickings, reviews and reflects upon Dreamland: Adventures in the Strange Science of Sleep by David Randall. She draws together strands of thought on the importance and source of dreams ranging from Freud's psychoanalysis to modern neuro-science.
Product of the week
Lucid Dreaming in 30 Days by Keith Harary Ph.D & Pamela Weintraub
Ian has been following this method and talks about his experience with it in our next episode. From Amazon:
"With Lucid Dreams in 30 Days you will learn to explore the mysteries of your sleeping self. Beginning with simple steps such as keeping a dream journal to record your dreams, Keith Harary, Ph.D., and Pamela Weintraub take you step-by-step, day-by-day through the lucid dreaming process. You advance to realizing when you are in a dream state, waking up "in" your dreams, and eventually, actually controlling the content of your dreams."
3 things you can do to help the show!
- If you enjoyed this newsletter please forward to a friend. If this was forwarded to you, you can subscribe here.
- Listen to the podcast and if you enjoy it give us a 5-star rating on iTunes. It helps others find the show.
- Join the discussion on Facebook and share your own tips and tricks or ask a question.
All the best in getting better,
Ian, Darren & March