Statement on Diversity
The Alaska Conference of Seventh-day Adventists is in grief, anger, and shock of the tragic loss of George Floyd and the events surrounding his death and the deaths of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and too many others.
Our prayers ascend with those of their families and friends for comfort, justice, and peace.
As we mourn the unjust loss of these people, let it spur us to positive action for change. Let it move us to value each person as a child of God that Christ Jesus spilled His blood for and treat them as such. Let it motivate us to not allow racism to rear its heinousness in our communities, whether of faith or wider. Let it sharpen our awareness of injustice and give us the courage to speak and stand for justice. Let it open our hearts to the love and compassion Jesus poured out on the marginalized. Let it make our churches the oasis of true justice in the desert of injustice so no one else has to endure this.
The church cannot remain silent. If we do, we become complicit in the injustice. We sacrifice brothers and sisters for so called peace. Jesus came to “set at liberty those who are oppressed” (Luke 4:18). The church must do no less.
The church can and must lead the way in reform through the love and courage of Christ.
In Christ we can vanquish this oppressor so that we can
“do justly, love mercy and walk humbly with our God” (Micah 6:8).
Pastor Kevin Miller, Alaska Conference President
June Virtual Townhall Meeting
Join our conference officers via Facebook Live on June 28, 6 pm-7 pm, for the the next virtual townhall meeting. Conference administrators will be discussing the upcoming 18th Regular Constituency Session and Diversity issues our country and state are wrestling with. Text questions to 360-362-0417, state your name and church, then question, i.e., This is Michael from Fairbanks, my question is…. If you don't follow us on Facebook, find the search icon and type Alaska Conference of SDA. Be sure to "follow” to receive automatic notifications of other “live”events. If you missed the May Day of Prayer and May Town Hall, you can view them on the conference Facebook page or visit our website at alaskaconference.org.
Men's Retreat is Happening!
The annual Men's Retreat is July 16-19, 2020. This year the retreat is a father-son focus, so for the first time in several years, boys 9 years and older are welcome. Join speaker Doug Batchelor the third weekend in July at this special gathering. Click here to register and learn more about the retreat.
Youth | YA Wilderness Adventure
Tired of sticking close to home and ready to experience the wilds of Alaska? Although summer camp has been cancelled, weekend teen and young adult excursions are being planned for July beginning July 9th! Excursions are four days, Thursday through Sunday, for a cost of $99 per person. If you are ages 15-29, interested in backpacking, canoeing and camping, then sign-up by contacting Pastor Tobin Dodge at 907-346-1004 x 1017 or email email@example.com. Registration deadline is June 30.
Amazing Grace Academy Grad Blast
The conference would like to extend its congratulations to the AGA Class of 2020! Each of these awesome young adults have plans to further their education and become hardworking members of our community. If you support the idea of a Senior Academy right here in Alaska, please consider a gift to AGA's Classroom Renovation Fund by visiting amazinggraceacademy.org and don't forget to like AGA on Facebook!
In support of our schools, the conference is leading the charge to organize back-to-school Vacation Bible Schools in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Palmer, Dillingham, Juneau and Sitka. Local volunteers are needed to staff your VBS; this is a great opportunity for community outreach and involve local Pathfinders, Young Adults as well as your church at-large. The conference will provide the VBS program, assist with marketing and help coordinate the overall program. Anchorage and Fairbanks are already scheduled! If your school and/or church is interested in hosting, contact Tobin Dodge by June 30.
Day of Prayer for Racial Justice & Equality
On Sabbath, June 27, 2020, the leadership of the North American Division of the Seventh-day Adventist Church is asking its members, churches, ministries, and services to join in a special day of prayer for the deep hurt and frustration that racial injustice and inequity has caused in North America. As the conversations on racism in society and in the church continue to grow, we are urging the 1.2 million church members in the territories of Bermuda, Canada, Guam/Micronesia, and the United States to come together and prayerfully seek God’s guidance and leading in our lives, especially in how we relate to one another, and how we can help stop injustice against people of color. As leaders, we want to ask the Holy Spirit to open our hearts and ears so we may understand and listen to our brothers and sisters, specifically in the Black American community, as they share the pain and anger they have experienced over the years. We want to ask for forgiveness, and we want to ask for compassion and strength to have the tough yet necessary conversations so our church can move forward in healing the wounds that run deep in our faith community. By coming to God in prayerful surrender to Him, we can become the church God wants us to be to reach out to those hurting in all our communities.
Virtual Camp Meeting | July 21-25, 2020
|Plans continue to bring online camp meeting to Alaska. Here is what's new:
- Adventist Book Center: For those of you wondering if the ABC will be here in July, the answer is no. However, they will be here in September during the 18th Regular Constituency session! The ABC will be operating out of the conference office and will be open September 20 (as well as a few days before and after) for order pick-up. Ordering information will be available in the next Around the AKC email and online on the conference website July 1st. If you would like to receive updates, announcements, sales events, coupons, etc. from the ABC, please contact them at 800.286.0161 to be added to their email list. You can also follow them on FaceBook at www.facebook.com/ucadventistbookcenter or Instagram at www.instagram.com/uppercolumbia.abc.
- Children's Programming: The Alaska and Oregon conferences are teaming together to provide a great interactive program for the kids. An app is in development and will be available for download to your mobile device. If you would like to register your child, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by June 23 to allow for shipping! Materials will be available for pick-up at your local church.
- Musicians: Musical features are needed for presentation throughout camp meeting. Musicians will be featured each evening, on Sabbath and as part of the overall presentations. Minimum requirements are 1080p resolution and strong audio. Please contact AKCmedia777@gmail.com for instructions on how to submit your video.
- Presentations: Camp meeting will "kick-off" with a live session Tuesday evening with conference president Kevin Miller followed by a presentation from featured speaker Karl Haffner. Each day will consist of two live sessions highlighting conference ministries and outreach along with segments from our guest speakers. Presentations will be posted on a variety of platforms--Vimeo, Facebook, YouTube--for viewing at leisure.
- 2020 Site Reservations: This year's site reservations will be used to fill requests for the 2021 camp meeting in Palmer in the order received. If you prepaid, funds will be applied to next year or you can request a refund through the treasury department. If you will not be attending next year, let us know by calling the office at 346-1004 x1000 or email email@example.com.
Prayer Line | Remote Sabbath School
Conference Friday Night Prayer Line: Friday evening from 7-8 pm & Remote Sabbath School: Sabbath mornings at 9:30 am. Call 800-719-6100; Access code 4760107.
Conference Office Open
The conference office is open to the public Monday - Thursday, 8:30 am - 5:30 pm. Please observe social distancing protocols:
Use AdventistGiving to submit your offering through the link on your church website, direct at AdventistGiving or via your mobile device by app [App Store or Google Play]!
Alaska Adventist Radio Network
Looking for Adventist programming? Tune into the Alaska Adventist Radio Network:
KQQN 89.3 FM Nome
AARN streams live at akadventistradio.net. Use your mobile device to tune in while you are driving; it uses very little data! Also featured is the live call-in Bible study Friday evenings at 6 pm (online only).
KSVQ 89.3 FM Gambell
KQQJ 90.7 FM Juneau
KKLK 89.3 FM Savoonga
KHGQ 101.7 FM Shungnak
KSLK 101.7 FM Selawik
KRGW 106.9 Fairbanks
KUIM 96.1 FM Bethel
KWRG-LP 99.9 FM Wrangell
Alaska Online Worship Services
20 Refugee Sabbath
20 Offering: Local Church Budget
27 Offering: YES!
27 Thirteenth Sabbath Offering: Trans-European Division
27 Special Day of Prayer for Racial Justice & Equality
28 Alaska Conference Virtual Townhall
July 21-25 Virtual Camp Meeting
August 23 Nominating Committee Meeting
August 23 Virtual Townhall | Topic: Future of the Alaska Conference
September 20 18th Regular Alaska Conference Constituency
Copyright © 2020 | Alaska Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
6100 O'Malley Road, Anchorage, Alaska 99507
Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.