Dear friends,
A few weeks ago, we introduced the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, a taxable benefit of $2,000 every four weeks for up to four months for eligible workers who have lost their income due to COVID-19. Since applications opened, the CERB has provided residents in Mississauga-Erin Mills with the financial support they need to pay the bills and afford necessary supplies in this challenging time.

I am glad to see so many in our community benefit, however I know there are many who did not meet the initial criteria and still need support. Our government is listening to your feedback and we are adjusting our measures to be more inclusive and supportive of those who are impacted by the pandemic. After raising your concerns with Ministers in Ottawa, I am pleased to share new updates on eligibility for the program.

As always, I would love to hear your feedback. Working together, we will persevere and make it through this.

Stay safe,

Iqra Khalid
Member of Parliament, Mississauga-Erin Mills
Phone: 905-820-8814
Yesterday, the Prime Minister announced that the government is stepping up to better support those who need help but do not qualify for the CERB. The eligibility rules are being changed to include:
  • Individuals earning up to $1,000 per month while collecting the CERB; 
  • Seasonal workers who have exhausted their EI regular benefits and are unable to undertake their usual seasonal work as a result of the outbreak; and
  • Workers who exhausted their EI regular benefits as of January 1st, 2020 and are unable to find a job or return to work because of COVID-19.
I encourage you to visit the Canada Emergency Response Benefit website for more information. As always, my office and I are here to help if you have any questions.
Do I need to reapply for CERB every 4 weeks?
You will need to reattest that you need to continue receiving CERB payments every 4 weeks from when the pay period started. For example, if you originally applied to receive your CERB from March 15th onward, you will need to reattest after April 14th. This can be done through the same portal you originally applied through.
What counts towards the $1000 income?
The $1,000 includes employment and/or self-employment income including but not limited to:
  • Tips you may earn while working;
  • Non-eligible dividends;
  • Honoraria (e.g. nominal amounts paid to emergency service volunteers); and
  • Royalties (e.g. paid to artists) you may receive within the four-week benefit period.
Please note that, at this time, income received from pensions, student loans, and bursaries are not employment income and do not count towards this amount.
What if I am on maternal/parental or other special benefits?
If there is no work available when you finish collecting maternity/parental benefits, you would be considered to have stopped working due to COVID-19.  If you meet the other eligibility requirements you may receive the Canada Emergency Response Benefit. 
What if I am in receipt of dividends? 

You would qualify for CERB as long as the dividends are non-eligible dividends (generally those paid out of corporate income taxed at the small business rate) and you meet the eligibility criteria.

Non-eligible dividends count towards the minimum $5000 in income required for eligibility.  Non-eligible dividends also count toward the $1000 income threshold for a benefit period.

From nurses and caregivers to grocery staff and delivery personnel, the people on the frontlines are working hard to provide the essential services we need. We can all agree that these workers play a vital role in keeping us safe and healthy, even though many are making close to minimum wage.

In recognition that these essential workers’ salaries are often less or similar than what they would receive from the CERB, our government is working with the provinces and territories through a new transfer to cost-share a temporary top-up to the salaries of workers deemed essential in the fight against COVID-19, who make less than $2,500 a month.

The Prime Minister will be discussing these measures with the Premiers today. More details will come soon about this program.
Please beware of misinformation. Make sure to verify anything you hear or read with a reliable, trusted source.

Peel Region Public Health: Public Health Agency of Canada: Ontario Updates: Emergency Assistance for Canadians travelling abroad:
  • Email:
  • Toll-free phone (wait times may vary): 1-(613)-996-8885
Copyright © 2020 MP Iqra Khalid, All rights reserved.

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.