Award Nomination Window Open
Each year the Foundation for Excellence in Public Education encourages, recognizes, and rewards excellence in the Clarke County School District. Annually, the FFE presents thousands of dollars in awards and grants to educators and students. The FFE is pleased to announce that the nomination window for the 2020 awards opened Friday, February 28th
. Individuals interested in submitting a nomination should click here
. The deadline to nominate an individual is Friday, March 6th
. See the overall timeline below.
Historically the nomination process, application process, and gathering of supporting documents occurred in one distinct time frame and were submitted in person, by providing multiple hard copies of the nomination packets to the district office. In 2018, we moved the process online; however, it was largely managed by FFE Trustees. This year FFE will be collaborating with a software company, Kaleidoscope
, to further streamline and increase the ease of the online nomination/application process (www.athensffe.org)
. All nominators and applicants are strongly encouraged to review the information below to familiarize themselves with the process and deadlines. Nominators and applicants should also review the award criteria on the FFE website (https://www.athensffe.org/awards-list)
. We appreciate your patience as we work to make the awards process as inclusive and accessible as possible.
Nomination/Application Time Frame:
- The awards process will consist of 3 separate time frames: Nomination, Application, & Supporting Documentation.
- Nomination (February 28 - March 6): Nominations may be made by principals/supervisors, colleagues, students, parents, or community members. There is no limit to the number of nominations made by any one person, school, or department.
- Application (March 9 - March 24): CCSD nominees will be contacted on March 9th with directions on beginning the application process.
- Primary information necessary to complete the application includes education credentials, contact information for letters of support, and any essays associated with the award (please note that the Stroud, Downs, and Horvat awards require no essay).
- Supporting Documentation (Application submission - April 14): During the application phase, the CCSD employee who has been nominated will be asked to provide the names and email addresses for the individuals the FFE should approach for the two (2) letters of support from past or present administrators/supervisors, co-workers, students, parents, or community members.
- To be considered a complete award nomination, all steps must be completed.
- To assist with the overall submission process, the FFE will create several guiding documents; it is recommended that nominators and nominees pay special attention to these documents to ensure all requirements and eligibility standards are met.
- THE DEADLINE FOR AWARDS APPLICATIONS IS MARCH 24TH; LETTER OF SUPPORT SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL APRIL 14TH @ 11:59PM EST.
2020 Awards List
Freida M. Thomas Teacher of Promise Award
Bertis Downs District Services Award
Howard B. Stroud Community Service Award
Michael Peter Horvat Secondary Coaches’ Award
Friends of Eve Carson Excellence in Teaching Award
Newland Family Foundation Excellence in Teaching Award
Galis Family Award for Teachers of History and Social Studies
Walter Allen, Sr. Inspiring Teacher Award
Frusanna S. Booth Chair for Teachers of English and Language Arts
Charlotte Brown Chair for Teachers of Special Education
Lamar Dodd Chair for Teachers of Fine Arts
Jenny Penney Oliver Chair for Counselors and Student Support Personnel
Margaret & Raymond Ponsoldt Chair for Elementary School Teachers