Brought to you by Friends of Jones
|From the Desk of Dr. Powers
Dear Jones Family,
I was about to start by noting that Spring has finally arrived! And then ... we had SNOW this weekend. We are nothing if not flexible here in Chicago!
These are very busy times at JCP, so I thought I'd share just a few major notes and reminders:
Whew! That was more than I expected. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at any time.
P. Joseph Powers, Ph.D.
Jones College Prep
700 South State St.
Chicago, IL 60605
For news about JCP, follow me on Twitter @PJOSEPHPOWERS
Thank you for all your continued support for our kids and school community.
- LSC Parent Vacancies: Two of our LSC parent representatives will leave us in June when their students graduate. If you are interested in one of these seats for the 2019-2020 school year, please contact me at email@example.com. The LSC will fill the two vacancies at the June 4 meeting.
- Selective Enrollment: Selective enrollment and CTE admissions for the Class of 2023 are nearly complete. It looks like we'll have another large freshman class next year. The Principal Discretion process is underway, which will open 21 additional freshman seats. Principal Discretion results will be announced the first week of June.
- Graduation 2019: I will meet with the Seniors, Class of 2019, on Monday during Ac Lab this week to discuss graduation and other end-of-year activities and events. A letter detailing graduation plans will also go out to parents of Seniors this week. Graduation for the Class of 2019 is 7 pm Thursday, June 13, at the Auditorium Theatre.
- Accreditation Visiting Team 5/1-2: This week we will host a visiting educators from AdvancED (formerly the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges) who will conduct our five-year re-accreditation. Jones has been accredited for more than 40 years by this independent organization. This visit offers us a great opportunity to develop and implement future goals for Jones. I'll report back after the study has been completed.
- School Budget for 2019-2020: The Jones Local School Council (LSC) by unanimous vote approved our FY20 budget, the vast majority of which pays for our faculty and staff. In addition, the LSC approved several minor school fee increases for next year. Once our positions are covered, not a lot will be left to support other programs, supplies and equipment. This is why the efforts and support of FOJ are so important for our school!
- Attendance: While we are close to the end of the school year, regular attendance is just as important now as any other time. Please do everything you can to ensure your students arrive on time and do not miss school unnecessarily.
- Traffic Problems: We are experiencing traffic problems during drop-off and pick-up times as cars block our bus zone on State Street and garage entrance on Polk Street. Please keep these areas clear during arrival and departure times. Many thanks!
Friends of Jones Spring Gala
BIGGEST EVENT OF THE YEAR FOR FOJ!
GET YOUR TICKETS NOW!
Dinner, dancing, live auction and paddle raise!
It's a great night to celebrate with Jones teachers,
staff and fellow parents!
SPRING GALA.. SPEND THE NIGHT AT THE PALMER HOUSE!
You can stay at the Palmer House the night of the Gala for only $139. You must book by April 11th and provide the Group Code: JCP.
or click here to book online.
CALLING ALL FIRST-YEAR PARENTS!
Want to get to know more about Jones? The Gala is a great way
to meet other parents. We will seat Class of 2023 parents together
so you can get to know each other.
You'll also have time to talk to our principal, Dr. Powers
and network with upperclass student parents.
Consider attending this year's GALA
CONTRIBUTE TO THE ANNUAL FUND
TO KEEP US SOARING TO EXCELLENCE
Welcome back from Spring break!
We’re in the home stretch…for the school year and the annual fund:
Now is your opportunity to provide support for our wonderful students and staff
and assure that we continue to soar to excellence--
with many things planned for the rest of the year.
Your donation is tax-deductible and will be put to work immediately
to fund many programs, including graduation, spring athletics and field trips.
We are seeking 100 percent participation from Jones families to reach our goal
of $250,000. If you haven't already, join the families
who support these enriching experiences for all Jones students!
FOJ ONLINE AUCTION KICK-OFF
MONDAY, APRIL 29TH
READY ... SET ... BID!
CLICK HERE TO START
EVERY winning bid goes to support programs
that are important to Jones.
The online auction fosters community support! EVERY ITEM HAS BEEN DONATED by a business in the community supporting Jones.
Our most sincere thanks to the more than 250 amazing businesses
and donors represented at our auction.
Auction runs from 8 am Monday, April 29 to 11 pm Friday, May,10
Sports tickets and memorabilia:
* Signed Chicago Fire Schweinstieger poster and other Chicago Fire soccer memorabilia
* Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks, White Sox, Chicago Fire prizes
Learn something new:
* School of the Art Institute
* Lill Street Art Studio
* Ruth Page Center for the Arts classes
Fitness and Health/Wellness:
* Shred 415
* Thousand Waves Martial Arts
* Balance Health & Wellness - Pilates
* 105F yoga
* Second City
* Chicago Symphony
* Victory Gardens
* Shedd Aquarium
* Museum of Science & Industry
* Chicago History Museum
HELP US CELEBRATE EXCELLENCE AT JCP
BY BECOMING A SPRING GALA SPONSOR
Planning on attending the Gala on May 10
** OR **
Download the Gala Sponsorship form
at the Palmer House Hilton?
If so, please consider becoming $1000 Eagle Sponsor!
New this year: Each sponsorship level includes tickets to the Gala.
As a $1000 Eagle Sponsor
you'll receive two Gala tickets (a $350 value)
help underwrite the event and support our fundraising goals evening.
You can become an Eagle-level sponsor by clicking HERE
to purchase sponsorships or individual tickets.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
with questions or for more information on becoming a Gala sponsor.
Thank you to our Gala sponsors April 26:
$10,000 Gold Sponsor: $5000 Silver Sponsor:
Electric Gum Electric Gum
$2000 Bronze Sponsor: $1000 Eagle Sponsor:
Catalyst GC and Development, Inc Tigran Atayan
MORE $1000 Eagle Sponsors: Laura Brauer
Property Consultants Realty The Dresden Family
The Schwan Family Jane and Jim Goodrich
Ann and Stephen Ross Amy and Brian Hand
Studio Brown Bag Johnson Pipe and Supply
Alex Vondrak Dr. Danica Milenkovich
Lisa and Ted Yaghmour Jenni and Romas PencylaLisa
|Class of 2019
Panoramic of Class of 2019
Thank you to the parent volunteers who chaperoned
the Class of 2019 for their panoramic class picture!
Greece, China, Peru, Ecuador, Spain and New York!!
Spring Break 2019
Thank you to the staff and teachers who planned and chaperoned
our Jones Spring Break Trips.
Eighteen students and
three chaperones traveled to the birthplace of democracy for a week of cultural and historical exploration. The group visited Athens, Mykonos, Samos, Patmos, Rhodes, Crete and Santorini.
Twenty-five students and five chaperones traveled to Peru for nine days of cultural exploration. They went to Lima, Cusco, the Sacred Valley, hiked Machu Picchu and spent a few days with the tarantulas and caiman in the Amazon Rainforest. An amazing experience for all!
Eighteen Jones and Walter Payton students, and their chaperones, traveled to four major cities in China: Beijing, Xi’an, Chengdu and Shanghai. Students climbed the Great Wall, saw the famous Terracotta Warriors, and watched pandas eat and play at the Panda Breeding Center. Students sharpened language skills and gained insight into globalization and ties between the two nations.
Right: Chinese paper thank you card FOJ received from participants.
Jones Choir spent four days in New York City over spring break. They had an amazing time seeing three Broadway shows, working with Broadway professionals and seeing historic sights around the city.
Above: Jones Choir performance at the Empire State Building.
Twelve Jones students accompanied by teacher chaperones Eric Hancock and Michal Michniowski toured cultural sites in Quito, visited active volcanoes, went to the Amazon rainforest, stopped at a Kichwa community that taught them how to make cocoa and visited a mangrove forest on the coast.
Twelve Jones students explored the wonders of Seville, Málaga, Granada, Úbeda, and Madrid with chaperones Marcos González Díaz, Olivia Guerrero and Fran Feeley. Highlights included the Royal Alcázar of Seville, the Alhambra/Holy Week processions in Granada, and the Reina Sofia and Prado Museums in Madrid.
FOJ continues to assist in making all our international trips possible
with your financial contributions!
"All American Boys" Community Book Discussion
In this New York Times bestselling novel, two teens (one black, one white)
grapple with the repercussions of a single violent act that leaves their school, community and ultimately the country bitterly divided by racial tension.
The Girls and Boys Water Polo teams have wrapped up the regular season
and are preparing for CPS Championships and IHSA Sectionals. Both teams open the CPS first round at Jones on Monday, April 29. The boys are the no. 2 seed
and the girls are no. 3 heading into the IHSA Sectionals.
IHSA Sectionals begin May 6, hosted at UIC's all-deep pool.
On April 25, the Boys Water Polo team honored Seniors at our home pool.
It was an emotional event as we say goodbye to five seniors this year.
CPS Championships First Round:
Mon., April 29 at Jones Aquatic Center
4:30 pm no. 3 Jones-Payton Boys vs. Lincoln Park
6 pm no. 6 Jones-Payton Girls vs. Prosser
Come cheer on our team!
5 K Eagle Run Committee
Planning meeting: 6 pm Tuesday, May at Jones
New members are encouraged to join us as we plan for this annual fall event.
If you have questions please contact Andy Newmark: email@example.com
SAVE THE DATE!!!
2019 EAGLE RUN
10 am SUNDAY, OCT. 20
Once again we will gather in beautiful Washington Park!
College Fair April 29
at Payton College Prep
Attention Jones Sophomores and Juniors:
The annual Jones/Payton Spring College Fair
hosted by Walter Payton College Prep!
Monday April 29, 6-8 pm
Students will meet 100-plus college representatives!
Please register at www.strivefair.com
(select the 4/29/2019 Walter Payton and Jones College Prep Fair)
so you can easily provide your information to the colleges reps you meet.
YUMMM: Cupcake Day May 1, 2019
Next Wednesday, May, counselors will host our annual
Cupcake Day/College Signing Day
for the Class of 2019!
Making College Affordable
Thursday May 9, 6-8 pm
Save the Date: "Making College Affordable"
a financial aid and scholarship informational night
for junior students and families,
will take place at Jones College Prep.
A&A BALLET Presents
TWO PERFORMANCES ONLY!
SATURDAY MAY 4 @ 2 and 7PM
Studebaker Theater, 410 S Michigan Ave.
A new spin on this timeless classic.
Experience the premiere of A&A BALLET's retelling
of Sleeping Beauty.
Great family entertainment for ages 4 and up!
Cursed by a wicked fairy, the newborn Princess Aurora is fated to die
from a prick to her finger on her 16th birthday. A good fairy intervenes
to alter the wicked fairy’s tragic spell: instead of dying, Princess Aurora
and her entire kingdom will fall into a deep sleep.
Only true love’s kiss will unleash the power to awaken her
and the rest of her kingdom. This pinnacle of classical dance
is heralded as ballet’s most sumptuous and artistically exacting masterpiece. Both the regal visual splendor and Tchaikovsky’s monumental score
will enchant the entire family.
Learn More OR Purchase Tickets
Support our LOCAL THEATERS!
Jones Alumni Association
Stay connected to Jones and share photos,
memories and stories with Jones alumni.
To register as an alum or parent/guardian of an alum
and follow us at the
ALUMNI FACEBOOK PAGE