2. Please spread the word: If you know a person or organization who would enjoy these lighthearted offerings, please forward this newsletter to one and all.
This is an excerpt from a longer quiz in the Wiser Now slide show “Time Will Tell.” For the following timely expressions, which answer is true? Answers are at the end of this document.
1. Donkey’s years
2. Red letter day, a day when good things happen
- Because domesticated donkeys usually live longer than horses (about 40 years), this was a common expression in the early American West when they were highly valued. (“I haven’t seen you for donkey’s years!”) ___
- This was originally cockney rhyming slang and referred to donkeys’ long ears. ___
3. Fast as a blue streak
- One of the few common phrases in English that originates in Asia where red is the color for weddings and other happy events ___
- Originally referred to Christian festivals (Christmas, Easter) marked in red in the Book of Common Prayer calendar beginning in 1549 ___
4. Legend in her own time
- Refers to falling stars ___
- Refers to lightning ___
- Meaning someone who is so famous for her (or his) feats or good deeds in her lifetime that they may be exaggerated (legendary), it was first used to refer to Florence Nightingale ___
- The origin of the phrase is older and goes back to Joan of Arc ___
The reality is that time IS relative. One exercise I often do in my staff development sessions is called, “Fuzzy Meanings.” It does not fit into my slide format, so I couldn’t include it in Time Will Tell, but you can access it with this link.
Do you have a topic you’d like covered? Are you doing something that might fit well with this newsletter? Let me know at Kathy@WiserNow.com.
The Kiosk of Resources
The Wiser Now slide show “Time Will Tell
” has a LOT more timely questions and discussion suggestions, and can be shown on your computer, tablet, or large screen TV for individual or group use or any place you have to wait and need lighthearted distraction.
Check out the many offerings at www.WiserNow.com
. We are posting regularly now at our Wiser Now Facebook
page and if you’re interested in caregiving issues, check out our www.WiserNowAlz.com
site which also provides links to our weekly LinkedIn “Dementia Minute” articles.
Answers to quiz:
1.b 2.b 3.b 4.a