1) Interior Minister has breached the law by not exerting his legal obligations falling upon him - with the purpose to allow his brother to live freely without having to consume a day in prison, nor Albania or Italy - and specifically by:
- not formally verifying the identity of his brother;
- not informing Italian authorities as of his brother’s location in Albania;
- not arresting and imprisoning his brother according to the Italian sentence (click here);
2) The Interior Minister has forged parliamentary documents (click here), abusing with his former Position as Chairman of the Legal Affairs Parliamentary Committee, in order for his brother:
- not be extradited to Italy;
- not to execute his prison sentence in Albania;
3) Interior Minister Xhafaj is in full breach of the Albanian Anti-Mafia law, while being simultaneously its subject, as he is:
- not investigating his brother’s source of wealth in Albania;
- not applying any sequestration measure of his brother’s wealth considering his Italian sentence;
The Albanian Anti-Mafia law provides (Article 8, law 10192, dt. 3/12/2009, click here for text in English) that any drug criminal activity shall be the object of an automatic investigation of the Ministry of Interior. Article 3 states in addition that all close relatives of the trafficker shall also be investigated and put under the same scrutiny. This implies that the same Minister of Interior in charge of implementing the Anti-Mafia law, is simultaneously an object of the Anti-Mafia Law.
4) Interior Minister Xhafaj is violating international standards and procedures - by granting a full immunity to his brother and not extraditing him - particularly according to:
- the European Convention on Extraditions stating that the extradition can be refused only in those cases when minimal judicial rights have not been respected. This is clearly not the case for a state like Italy.
- the Italian Ministry of Justice, having declared publicly via an interview of its Justice Minister that Italy is awaiting for the extradition of 12 cases similar to the one of Albainan Interior Minister’s brother (click here for interview in English)