Blount County Blue Wave
We are very pleased to announce that 7 Democrats have stepped up to run for office in Blount County in 2018. Six are running for County Commissioner positions: Jeff Barbra, Ginny West Case, Tanya Henderson Martin, Jackie Hill, Kathy Puckett, and April White. Plus, for the first time in years, we have a Democrat on the ballot for Tennessee House District 8, Jay Clark. We need everyone to pitch in and help Get Out the Vote (GOTV) in Blount County and get these folks elected. You can help by signing up for a voter registration drive, a phone bank, canvassing, volunteering on a campaign or helping at an event. Be involved - sign up to volunteer.
Maryville College Democrats Host Forum
for Local Democratic Candidates
Please join the Maryville College Democrats as they host a public forum for local Democratic candidates on March 26, 2018 from 6 to 8 PM in the College Center for Campus Ministry. The ministry is located in the center of campus near the cafeteria. Candidates will have an opportunity for opening and closing remarks around a Q and A session. There will be ample opportunity to meet and talk with the candidates. The candidates who will attend are:
County Commission District 5 candidate, Ginny West Case, is unable to attend due to previously committed out of town travel. However, we will have information on her candidacy available.
- Jay Clark - Tennessee House District 8
- Jackie Hill - County Commission District 1
- Tanya Henderson Martin - County Commission District 1
- April White - County Commission District 3
- Jeff Barbra - County Commission District 4
- Kathy Puckett - County Commission District 8
The Blount County Democratic Party is pleased to announce that it approved its first ever Platform for the 2018 election cycle. The Platform focuses on Blount County, Tennessee, and national issues, in that order. It is based on the great work of our Positions and Platform committees chaired by Kathy Puckett and Joe Gallagher respectively. The preamble incorporates a great deal of community input from the sessions led by the highly respected organizer and political consultant DeJuana Thompson, as well as our unwavering commitment to equality for all.
Blount County Democratic Platform Approved
Excerpt from Platform: "The Blount County Democratic Party envisions and is working for a community: where anyone can affect positive change; that values its diversity; where truth is freely spoken to power; whose citizens are safe and secure; where economic opportunity abounds; where honesty, integrity, and fact prevail; where everyone votes and every vote counts; and where power and authority reside in its people."
The Platform has been posted on the Blount County Democratic Party website blount.tndp.org under the “About Us” tab. Here is a direct link to the platform:
Tuesday, March 20, 12-1 PM
- UCW-CWA Rally: Fight the Tenure Attack!
Saturday, March 24, 2-5 PM
- March for Our Lives Knoxville
. The Maryville College students are looking for volunteers to help set up for the March 24
, March for our Lives on the UT campus. If you are interested in volunteering, please let Kalyn Carpenter President of the MC Dems know. Kalyn can be reached at email@example.com
. The march starts at 2 PM
at 1115 Volunteer Blvd
SW, Knoxville, TN
Monday, March 26, 6-8 PM
- Democratic Candidates Forum
- Maryville College, College Center for Campus Ministry
Thursday, April 12, 6:30-8:00 PM
- Attend the next meeting of the BCDP Executive Committee. These meeting are open for anyone interested in connecting with Blount County Democrats.
Are you registered to vote? If not, you can register online here: GOVOTETN.ORG
Not sure if your registration is current? Check the status of your registration at GOVOTETN.ORG
Remember these dates:
APRIL 2 is the last day to register to vote before the May Primary.
- May 1, 2018 – County Primary & Rockford City Election
- August 2, 2018 – Federal & State Primary, County General, Friendsville, & Townsend City Election
- November 6, 2018 - Federal and State General elections, Alcoa, Louisville, & Maryville City Election