A comedy starring Mabel Normand, directed by F. Richard Jones and produced by Mack Sennett.
THE SILENT LAUGHTER WEEKENDPROGRAMME IS NOW AVAILABLE TO VIEW ON THE CINEMA MUSEUM WEBSITE.
Dear Friends of The Kennington Bioscope & The Cinema Museum
Wed 21st of Feb:
Kevin Brownlow will present: 'The Extra Girl' (1923) on a 16mm print.
The 'Extra Girl' is a comedy starring Mabel Normand, directed by F. Richard Jones and produced by Mack Sennett.
Normand plays a small town girl who travels to Hollywood to escape marriage, who dreams of becoming a motion picture star.
Given the status of Mabel Normand as the leading comedienne of the silent screen, her feature-length films are frustratingly hard to obtain. There are plenty of early shorts from Vitagraph, Biograph and, especially, Keystone, as well as the Hal Roach films from the end of her career.
- 'Should Men Walk Home' (1927) has previously been screened at Kennington Bioscope.-
Of her starring features, few are known to remain. Mickey (1918) survives and dates from the end of her early relationship with Mack Sennett. Most of her subsequent films at Goldwyn are missing.
Sennett, convinced that he alone could provide appropriate vehicles for Normand, made repeated efforts to lure her back and secured a loan-out from Goldwyn for Molly O’ (1922), which seems presently to circulate only in a Russian-language print. Their final film together – The Extra Girl (1923) – is, fortunately, available for us to screen in a good (English!) copy.
F. Richard Jones – Normand’s favourite director – brings out the best of her talents in this tale of a small-town girl with aspirations to be a movie actress.
This screening will be from a 16mm print, and will be introduced by Kevin Brownlow.
TO ATTEND PLEASE REPLY TO THIS EMAIL OR VISIT THE WEBSITE
All films will have a live piano accompaniment.
A programme of silent shorts precedes the main film.
Anyone interested in silent film should visit the website for more info.
The Cinema Museum is located in Kennington, close to the Elephant and Castle.
Address: The Master’s House, 2 Dugard Way (off Renfrew Road), London SE11 4TH
Nearest tube/train stations: Kennington (Northern Line) and Elephant and Castle (Northern and Bakerloo lines, and BR) are both within easy walking distance.
Bus routes: Routes 109, 133, 155, 159, 196, 333 and 415 stop within 3 minutes’ walk; 1, 12, 35, 40, 45, 53, 63, 68, 100, 148, 168, 171, 172, 17, 188, 468, 453, C10, 363, 343, 344 and P5 all stop at the Elephant and Castle; additionally routes 3, 59 and 159 along Kennington Road are also under 10 minutes’ walk away.
Parking: Cycle parking provided. Limited parking is available at the Museum. The Museum is within the Congestion Charging zone, which operates until 6pm Mon-Fri. After 6.30pm and at weekends there is free parking in surrounding streets.
Full disabled access is available.
Nearest tube: Kennington The Cinema Museum 2 Dugard Way (off Renfrew Road) London SE11 4TH
Visit the site for the information on the next show.
ADMISSION TO THE KB IS ONLY £5 BUT PLEASE CAN YOU CONSIDER MAKING A SMALL DONATION TO THE CINEMA MUSEUM DURING YOUR VISIT AS THE EVENT IS ONLY POSSIBLE THROUGH THE KIND GENEROSITY OF THE MUSEUM'S VOLUNTEERS.
THE MUSEUM IS AN EXPENSIVE VENUE TO KEEP OPEN AND RECEIVES NO ARTS COUNCIL FUNDING. THIS EVENT IS IN AID OF THE CINEMA MUSEUM THANK YOU.
Ticket revenue information:
£4 goes directly to the Cinema Museum to help cover the costs of running the venue, and £1 goes towards to cost of acquiring prints and licenses.