Get Ahead and Graduate Sooner with Summer Session Courses at SDSU
Zak, an SDSU Ambassador, and Criminal Justice Senior
shares his experience with SDSU Summer Session.
Why did you take Summer Session courses and how did this benefit your experience at SDSU?
- I am enrolled for a major and two minors, so I took summer school every year to get ahead and graduate early. Summer Session really benefitted me as it didn't force me to overwork during fall and spring semesters to achieve my goals and still let me have time during the fall and spring semesters for extracurricular activities such as SDSU Ambassadors and the Triathlon club.
Would you recommend SDSU Summer Session to other students, if so why?
- I would certainly recommend the SDSU Summer Session! It can help you graduate earlier, or at least stay on track, and still be able to partake in extracurricular activities. The summer classes are a nice atmosphere, the classes are smaller and there is much more interaction with the professor and with other students.
What advice would you give a student wanting to take classes during Summer Session?
- Explore the programs and classes available to them for summer. There may be certain classes that they might prefer to take over summer, however it is important to check which classes are available during the summer sessions as not all classes are offered over the summer, and some are offered alternate years.
- Summer classes mean having to pay more in the year, so it’s good to financially plan the cost and also to research if there are scholarships available to meet the costs.
- I also recommend planning time to have personal days off where you can enjoy yourself, instead of doing work every single day. It’s important to remember that some sort of break between end of Spring semester and beginning of Fall semester is important to recharge, so do take advantage of the fact that there are two summer sessions, and you may only need to do one of them each year to meet your goals.
Summer Session Registration Opens March 1
San Diego State University summer courses can help you get ahead in your coursework and stay connected to your professors and the campus over the summer. SDSU is offering hundreds of online courses in three short sessions. Taking just one summer session course can put you on track to graduate on time or leave room in your schedule for an internship, a job, participation in a student organization next year, or other valuable experience.
Visit the Office of the Registrar website for a list of summer courses.
Class Schedule (select Summer 2021)
Summer Financial Aid is available for those who qualify:
To be considered for summer financial aid you must
- Be a continuing student from the spring semester or a new student who plans to enroll at SDSU for the fall semester.
- File a FAFSA for the 2021-22 year and have an Award Notification from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress.